Siphoning into a corny - The Reverse BMBF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adx

Reaction score
I had a moment of genius today. One of those things that when you think of it you wonder why it didn't hit you sooner. I was getting ready to keg a beer and went to siphon some StarSan into the keg when I realized I had thrown away my hose list time I kegged a beer. It was starting to get nasty and I just didn't feel like dealing with it.

In a moment of panic I start looking around for something to use and then it hits me, "Why not just use cobra tap in reverse? I know the racking cane in the autosiphon will fit into the tap."

A new way to siphon into a corny was born. All I did was put the end of the racking cane into the cobra tap. Just like you do for the BMBF. The other end I connected to the "Out" port on the keg and locked the tap open. Instant keg filler without having to deal with hose going to the bottom of the keg.

photo34.jpg

I am always amazed at the creativity here, I bet we could actually get back to the moon in a homebrewer built ship if we all worked on it together.
thats an awesome idea, I may try that in a few days when I keg my APA!

This looks like a good idea to me. Often when racking into a keg I notice that the end of the siphon hose wants to float a bit at first creating somewhat of a whirlpool that may expose the beer to a bit more oxygen than the diptube may. I have an extra liquid out ball-lock fitting that I very well may attach to my racking hose next time.

I am always amazed at the creativity here, I bet we could actually get back to the moon in a homebrewer built ship if we all worked on it together.
thats an awesome idea, I may try that in a few days when I keg my APA!

Only if we were promised there would be malt and hops on the moon (as we know there is water already) :)

Good idea and ingenuity.

I had a moment of genius today. One of those things that when you think of it you wonder why it didn't hit you sooner. I was getting ready to keg a beer and went to siphon some StarSan into the keg when I realized I had thrown away my hose list time I kegged a beer. It was starting to get nasty and I just didn't feel like dealing with it.

In a moment of panic I start looking around for something to use and then it hits me, "Why not just use cobra tap in reverse? I know the racking cane in the autosiphon will fit into the tap."

A new way to siphon into a corny was born. All I did was put the end of the racking cane into the cobra tap. Just like you do for the BMBF. The other end I connected to the "Out" port on the keg and locked the tap open. Instant keg filler without having to deal with hose going to the bottom of the keg.

I've been doing this for a while now. But since you have the siphon already in place... why use the auto siphon?

300x300.jpg
300x300.jpg

Js Keg Fill Apparatus

The bottling spigot is installed in the fermenter. Then using:

* 3/8" ID vinyl tubing
* 1/4 MFL x 3/8" Barb
* MFL Pin/Ball Lock connector

You can connect the fermenter to the keg and not have to open the keg up once it's sanitized. Exception made if your dry hopping. Beyond sanitation your keg has a nice blanket of CO2 at fill which won't add any oxidation possibilities... Read my write up as a work in progress... http://ipb.trainerfamily.net/pagesmith/8

Good thinking! I often have had that panic mode where you can't find the right hose or fitting when trying to transfer beer.

Anyway - next step for you is to ferment in a corny and transfer with CO2, you will be a happy camper if you do that.

Anyway - next step for you is to ferment in a corny and transfer with CO2, you will be a happy camper if you do that.

I've had great luck simply fermenting in a carboy or Better Bottle and transferring with CO2 into a keg. I use a carboy hood with the racking cane going down into the beer and a CO2 line connected to the other hole in the carboy hood. I only use 1-2 psi of CO2 in my carboy because it's glass that's not designed to handle pressure, but that's plenty of pressure to move the beer.

Now I don't have to move my carboy from the chest freezer and disturb the yeast when racking. I get noticeably cleaner beer transfered into the keg whenever I use less flocculante yeast like WLP001.

Back