siphoning after boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottfro

Reaction score
so i've nearly completed my counterflow chiller setup. i'm going to be using a venturi device to start my siphon. i don't have a valve on my kettle so i will be going over the top edge and into the kettle. i know people are whirlpooling but i'm also assuming its a good idea to put some sort of filter over the end of my siphon to avoid sucking up any hops. has anyone tried using a stainless steel braid and treated the trub in the kettle like the grains of a mash? i'm wondering if the braid is going to clog up if its sitting right in the trub?

any thoughts?

I looked into the SS braid and it didn't work as well as I would've liked. I've just been putting a bag over the end lately...

Soulive said:
I looked into the SS braid and it didn't work as well as I would've liked. I've just been putting a bag over the end lately...

grain/hop bag you mean?

what troubles did you run into with the SS braid?

I tried a long SS braid, probably would have worked for leaf hops, the pellet hops just clogged it up and I got a hmmm stuck siphon as it were. Had to change it all up and whirlpooled instead.

Back