Sip of Sunshine Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnK93

Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently harvested yeast from a can of Sip of Sunshine and grew it up into enough yeast to get a pretty vigorous fermentation going on a gallon test batch (running side-by-side with 1056.) This was my first time harvesting yeast from a commercial beer, so it was more for the experience than anything else.

Does anyone know what strain of yeast they use in SoS? I've come across Double Sip clones that use either Conan or 1056, but haven't found anything indicating what Sip of Sunshine uses.

Thanks,
John

Don't know for sure, but the fruity/juicyness of SoS sure reminds me of Conan IPAs. Plus all the clones out there seem to use Vermont Ale/Conan. Either that or 1056 will make a great SoS clone. Brew on!

Thanks. If it's not Conan and something I can just buy at my homebrew shop (they carry mostly Wyeast), I wouldn't bother to harvest again. But if it 's Conan or some other proprietary strain, it might be worth it. At any rate, I'll know in about 2-3 weeks how much of a difference there is between SoS yeast and 1056.

Thanks. If it's not Conan and something I can just buy at my homebrew shop (they carry mostly Wyeast), I wouldn't bother to harvest again. But if it 's Conan or some other proprietary strain, it might be worth it. At any rate, I'll know in about 2-3 weeks how much of a difference there is between SoS yeast and 1056.

I'd like to know your thoughts when you taste. I'm brewing a Pliny the Elder clone tomorrow with 1056.

Planning on first dry hop this weekend. The SoS gallon will being bottled and the 1056 is getting kegged, but I'll report back once both are carbed up. Which Pliny recipe are you following?

I actually just sat in the BYO Bootcamp class with Sean Lawson yesterday in Burlington. Sean said that he uses good ole Chico/Cal Ale in SOS. He further said the he alternates suppliers - sometimes WLP001, sometimes WY1056 he has even used US-05. Sounds like a home brewer to me.

Well that's good to know, although a little disappointing that I just harvested the same yeast that I also bought! Oh well!

Planning on first dry hop this weekend. The SoS gallon will being bottled and the 1056 is getting kegged, but I'll report back once both are carbed up. Which Pliny recipe are you following?

The Pliny recipe is from the book IPA Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale by Mitch Steele. They don't give the exact recipe, only percentages and statistics. Easy enough to figure out though.

Back