Sink or Sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RelicScoth

Reaction score
This was intended to be a kolsch, but I started from older grains and yeast. Gravity came out strong (a little over target, even), but fermentation stalled. I half expected this, given the older (liquid) yeast, so I was ready with a pack of dry that I followed up with on day 2.

Two weeks in, this is where I am. I'm about 90% sure I just accidentally started what will now be my first sour. Drafted a little from the bottom, flavor is still "new beer", but I want to make sure 1) I'm right, it's safe, and don't need to dump it unless I don't like the outcome and 2) Since I'd be aging it longer than intended, should I do so at kolsch temps or warmer?

Attachments

• 20180211_182930.jpg
    20180211_182930.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
  • 20180211_182937.jpg
    20180211_182937.jpg
    940 KB · Views: 95
If there's alcohol it should be safe.

If it look like your kolsch strain finished (by the gravity) I'd increase to warmer temps like somewhere around 65-75F. If you're planning to age it anyway, consider pitching some live sour dregs or Brett +/- Pedio at the warmer temp.

Last edited:
Back