Sink has no threads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talloak

Reaction score
I currently brew partial boils, partial mashes in my kitchen. This is where I am most comfortable doing this, as I can brew in the cold winter months. I couldn't ask for a better kitchen stove (natural gas). Therefore, I do not want to be dependent on a garden hose for my immersion chiller.

I do not currently own a chiller, as I do partial boils, but my federal tax return will be large, so I am buying a 8 gallon kettle thereby upgrading to full boils - so I will need a chiller.

My kitchen sink, and the other two sinks in the house, all do not have any type of threading on them. Frustrating.

The question: How can I hook an immersion chiller up to a household sink which has no threading of any type?

Thanks

I would look in a plumbing supply store for a 3 way piece that could go onto the supply line under the sink. Have not had to do this, but see no reason why you couldn't easily add this. You would need a reducer from the hose fitting down to the smaller fitting on the supply line.

If you unscrew the tip of the faucet as listed above you can use an adaptor. However I have found (through experience) that you can strip those threads out and your adaptor is pretty useless at that point.

I was mainly concerned about using my bottle washer inside so I was not lugging buckets of bottles in and out of the house. My solution was to add a T between the hot water supply line and the jumper to the faucet, on which I put a second cutoff valve and about 10' of 5/8" hose. I can now use a hose with hot water indoors to fill mop buckets, use my bottle washer, clean kegs, etc. etc. etc. Recently I even hooked up the garden hose and ran it out the window so I could use hot water to defrost my kegerator on the porch. :D

If the adapters don't unscrew, look for a rubber funnel-like adapter that would force-fit on the faucet.

If the adapters don't unscrew, look for a rubber funnel-like adapter that would force-fit on the faucet.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. There is nothing on the tip of the faucet to unscrew, nothing at all, it is all one solid piece.

I would rather not screw around with a T adapted underneath the sink as I rent this property.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. There is nothing on the tip of the faucet to unscrew, nothing at all, it is all one solid piece.

I would rather not screw around with a T adapted underneath the sink as I rent this property.

it might look like a solid piece but the aerator has to be serviceable somehow. Grab the tip of the faucet with a pair of channel locks wrapped around a damp rag or piece of thin rubber and something will unscrew revealing threads you can use. My bar sink has a new decorative faucet and the aerator is actually the last inch of the spout, not the little 1/4 inch job I am used to seeing.

The previous post about adding the T under the sink is actually the best solution. You will get higher flow rates this way and there is less chance of you scratching the spout and angering the spouse. Adding the T and hose would take all of 5 minutes and $10.

Linc

Just went to the hardware store and bought an adapter. Will try it out tonight after work. I tried this before when I bought a Jet bottle washer and an adapter. I will try harder this time. I purchased the standard sized adapter, should work.

Dang, you guys rock! I am SO going to place a Garden hose adapter under my sink now! I never though about it before, but this would mean I would not have to swap my aerator off the faucet each time!!

Just a garden hose adapter and a shutoff valve and I'm all set!

Dang, you guys rock! I am SO going to place a Garden hose adapter under my sink now! I never though about it before, but this would mean I would not have to swap my aerator off the faucet each time!!

Just a garden hose adapter and a shutoff valve and I'm all set!
take pics please. I wntaed to do this but not sure just how hard it would be :eek:

take pics please. I wntaed to do this but not sure just how hard it would be :eek:

Just look at where your hot water comes up to the faucet. Follow that hose down and you'll see a valve. By a piece that threads into the valve and splits to two end. Reattach the Faucet's hot water hose to one and your shutoff and garden hose to the other. If it's still confusing, take a picture under the sink of the water connections, go to the hardware store and show them the picture and tell them what you want to do.

Sometimes thats the best thing to do. There are so many options these days for stuff you cant be aware of them all. Just tell the employee the solution and problem and see what he suggests.

Then open all packages and test fit before going home to find out they don't fit like you though they would. They may all say 1/4 or 3/8 but flare fitting will not screw into compression fittings will not screw into Pipe fittings, will not screw into copper fittings, blah blah blah.

I use a slightly different tactic... I have a pull-out faucet in the kitchen, and although I could take off the aerator, I chose not to. I stop up the sink, run cold water into it, and place a sump pump that I had lying around inside the sink. The extra benefit to this is that I can dump ice in the sink to get better cooling when I'm near the end, seeing that my tap water is relatively warm.

Good use of a sump pump that was otherwise doing nothing but gathering dust... but maybe not something you'd want to have to buy if you don't have one already.

You could always run a hose from where the cloths washer hook ups are to the chiller. Admittedly, that might mean you have to run down two flights of stairs to turn on/off the water but it is an option.

Well it worked. Of course it worked, right? Yah well, I am not so good with home repair/DIY type stuff. But I am confident now. Now I can use the Jet Bottle Washer I thought was useless (lost receipt) and basically any immersion chiller.

Next step, build my own immersion chiller. I noticed copper piping at the hardware store and it got me thinking.

Thanks for the support homebrewtalk community.

Back