Single Tier Unistrut Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lgaddy44

Reaction score
After researching many ideas, and finally getting a partner in crime, I've opted to hold of on the electric brewery for now, and settle with building a propane rig.

We're in the beginning process of designing and ordering parts/materials, and I'll try to post details and photos of our progress. We've already received a few items, and have more on order.

We're pooling different ideas, some from other HBT threads we've seen, as well as some ideas from Kal, and Lonnie Mac. We're more than open to questions and suggestions, as we're still a little unclear on some items, but confident we can knock it out. The main grey area for us right now, is plumbing all of the gas lines and such.

We'll be building a HERMS HLT (mimicking most of Kal's HLT), and have jet burners on all 3 kettles. I was a little unsure of the burner on the MLT, but I'm thinking it won't be doing much of the work, as the HERMS should handle most of the load, with a little supplement from the MT burner. We'll also be installing Honeywell valves and pilots on the HLT and MT. The boil kettle will have a manual controlled burner.

As of now, we have ordered and plan on installing 2 PIDs on the control panel, along with controls for 2 March pumps. I'm considering a convoluted CFC for chilling.

We've received some of the parts, starting with (3) 20 gallon Bayou kettles. We'll be starting the build with the HLT and frame for the stand.

We're shooting for 10 gallon brews, with potential for 15 gal smaller beer batches, as well.

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

Looks like I'm getting in on watching this build from the start. Look forward to seeing it come together.

How are you going to run a germs coil and direct fire at the same time? Usually it is one or the other.

HDIr0n said:
How are you going to run a germs coil and direct fire at the same time? Usually it is one or the other.

I wasn't thinking it would be much of an issue. With our RTDs being installed on Ts, off the bottom valves, of the HLT and MT, my thought was to just be sure that we're able to maintain mash temp good. I'm assuming for some heat loss with all the recirculating. I figure if we fired each burner keeping in line with the RTDs, it should remain more constant, with the MT burner working very lightly.

Then again, I could be totally over thinking it. That's the beauty of posting here. You have a great question, and I'd love to hear others' thoughts. Maybe I can get by with one less burner in the system.

I just think it might create some funny scenarios if you try using the PID as a PID with the herms and direct fire going. If you just use it as a temp switch it might work ok. I would just direct fire and forgo the herms coil, or save some cash and only run 2 burners and 1 PID. Again just some food for thought.

More boxes today, a couple random fittings for the HLT, and two thermocouples for the Honeywell assemblies.

image-3505444242.jpg

(2) PIDs came today. Eventually gonna need time to start building something. Going to a Brisket smoking boot camp this weekend though, can't wait!

image-3480778903.jpg

More hardware received for the kettles. Just ordered most of the remaining kettle and hose needs (Amazon/MoreBeer). Many thanks to Kal and their itemized material list (w/links). That has made designing and ordering parts, much less of a hassle.

image-2486402785.jpg

I just think it might create some funny scenarios if you try using the PID as a PID with the herms and direct fire going. If you just use it as a temp switch it might work ok. I would just direct fire and forgo the herms coil, or save some cash and only run 2 burners and 1 PID. Again just some food for thought.

I agree. Seems a bit overkill to go three burners AND herms coil. I think you'll get plenty of control over temp by choosing one or the other. My preference is herms, but to each his own. Save some cash and eliminate that burner + accessories under the mash tun (HERMS sytem) or eliminate herms coil (plus add'l valves) if you really wanna go direct fire MT.

My $.02

I agree. Seems a bit overkill to go three burners AND herms coil. I think you'll get plenty of control over temp by choosing one or the other. My preference is herms, but to each his own. Save some cash and eliminate that burner + accessories under the mash tun (HERMS sytem) or eliminate herms coil (plus add'l valves) if you really wanna go direct fire MT.

I think at this point, we're pretty well committed to the HERMS. Maybe it would be a better design to eliminate the burner under the MT, especially since I would prefer not to direct fire the mash. My main goal is to get consistent temp control throughout the mash, and I worry about heat loss during recirculation.

Definitely an option to use the second PID as a temp monitor for the wort out of the MT, as it recirculates through the HERMS.

We werent really planning on automating the BK, but since we already have most, if not all of the parts, we could also chose to move the Honeywell and associated gear over to the BK, if we're not using it on the MT.

just my 2 cents. I use a herms coil, but i also have the ability to direct fire my MT. I dont typically direct fire the mash, but i do start my strike water in the MT and my sprage water in the HLT. Gets to temp faster by heating it separately. My rtd probes are at the output of the hlt (on its way to the pump) and the MT is monitored at the exit of the herms coil. I do run 2 pumps with my system. Just gives me flexibility and the occasion where I want to step mash, i can do so fairly quickly.

Edit- I use bg14s though, so I can also fine tune down my MT when I want to fire it.

bucfanmike said:
...but i do start my strike water in the MT and my sprage water in the HLT. Gets to temp faster by heating it separately.

Excellent point. Although I wonder if the benefit outweighs the cost, especially if he's gonna automate it, but seeing as he's already made the purchases, why the heck not?!

Received some hose, along with some barb fittings for the hoses. Also some more ball valves, and some other fittings. Probably a couple weeks out from starting the build, due to my buddy's upcoming move. I guess we'll continue to pile up the parts, in the meantime.

image-3124679497.jpg

image-2377300374.jpg

Today brought a False Bottom assembly (from AIH) for the 82qt Bayou, a couple boxes of hose clamps, and a couple other fittings.

The only issue I see is with all the michigan stuff, Go BUCKS! Lol, looks real nice man!

meltroha said:
The only issue I see is with all the michigan stuff, Go BUCKS! Lol, looks real nice man!

Lol, I'll let that slide since I'm confident Ohio will beat Michigan this year....beat us in the number of players suspended and/or arrested :)

I already have a 4 tap kegerator, and he's moving into a new home, and building a 4 tap keezer. Gotta keep em stocked!

I've seen all of these parts and then some on "everypace that sells brewing hardware.com". Some people attach them to each other and make something out of them like say...a brewery for example. UPS and FedEx packages are very exciting, I know. You should see what I got the other day...could not wait until bedtime!!!

Of course, I'm just givin you some $hit. And you ain't shown me no STRUT:)

In fact, I will be reporting this thread as a falsification if you do not produce some photos of "unistrut" construction or at least the parts for such planned construction. Faker!

Man, that's really putting me on the spot, lol. Trust me, I'm chomping at the bit to get this thing started. I'm thinking we're about two weeks out from getting started (at best). By then, I hope we can at least start bolting some strut together and punching some holes in the kettles. Once the ball starts rolling, it should go fairly quick.

Construction should be much more fun to follow, rather than showing photos of random parts. I agree whole heartedly with you, sir.

Soooo....two years have gone by, and absolutely zero progress on this build, since my last post. A lot of things have changed since then, and my brewing hobby has taken a back seat to the rest of my life. I'm considering selling all of the pieces (still unused) to this build, and possibly some (if not most) of the remainder of my brewing gear.

I know if I'm selling, I need to post asking prices for any item up for grabs. I'll try to post individual items this weekend, for those interested.

First up for grabs is the unistrut frame we built. I'm only asking $75, but must be a local pickup, please. This is a solid build with 3/8" stainless hardware on all connections. Dimensions are 18"Wx70"Lx30"H.

I'll probably start a new thread in the "Want to Sell" area of the forum, for these and anything else I get rid of. Feel free to PM me, if there any serious inquiries.

Frame (1).jpg

Frame (2).jpg

Frame (3).jpg

Yep. Not quite what i was expecting either. But hey, check the for sale section for all the great deals on these never used items! Lol

Been thinkin long and hard about this lately...I have a ton of parts, and I'm guessing I could even dumb this build down a bit, with minimal effort, and still have a manual HERMS rig with 2 pumps. I may just re-evaluate. I might not be able to throw together the ideal system, but I still have the means for an upgrade, without too much headache involved.

....and BTW, "You know you're a homebrewer when...." you just cant let go, lol. I think there's a thread for that.

Latest posts

Back