Single Tier for less than $200

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pericles

Reaction score
Is there any reason that this cart couldn't be used as a single-tier brew-stand? It's selling for $129, which is a LOT cheaper than the other sculptures I've seen.

10045980.jpg

I think it does come with burners but, even if it didn't, at $12.99 each, buying them separately only bumps the total price up to $156. And it looks like there's no shipping, or tax in most states.

I might be a little concerned about the strength of the legs, assuming you were brewing something big, like a 20 gallon batch. But you could always just reinforce them with for pieces of angle-iron for a couple of bucks extra.

Can I get thoughts from the group?

I'd also be concerned about the legs/weight issues but if you'll be sticking with 5 gallon batches for a while it might be ok.

Rough back-of-the-napkin calculation, the frame of the unit consists of approx 31ft of some sort of angle metal. Standard 1 x 1 x 1/8 angle iron (mild steel) weighs .84lb/ft so assuming that was used the stand would weight about 26lbs. That gives 14 remaining for the burners, mounting brackets, wheels, and handle. Quite plausible. Angle iron is darned cheap and quite strong.

regulator not included, but the ad indicates burners are included. Otherwise they shouldn't be so specific on it using high-pressure burners.

Assuming my assumptions, it sounds like a decent deal.

It looks like it would work. For heavy loads, I would agree that maybe some additional bracing might be in order. I would consider an "X" brace across the back and that would stiffen things up a lot. I've used 1/2" EMT conduit flattened on the ends and bolted on and it makes a HUGE difference in stability. Even wire or small cable would work too (each in tension), but conduit is cheap!

Is there any reason that this cart couldn't be used as a single-tier brew-stand? It's selling for $129, which is a LOT cheaper than the other sculptures I've seen.

10045980.jpg

I think it does come with burners but, even if it didn't, at $12.99 each, buying them separately only bumps the total price up to $156. And it looks like there's no shipping, or tax in most states.

I might be a little concerned about the strength of the legs, assuming you were brewing something big, like a 20 gallon batch. But you could always just reinforce them with for pieces of angle-iron for a couple of bucks extra.

Can I get thoughts from the group?

that's exactly what i use. it's the dual fryer from academy. i use 2 15.5g keggles on it, and have done 11 gallon batches routinely on it for a few years. a friend referred me to it who has used it for years, also. it's great, and very inexpensive for a stand

lumpher said:
that's exactly what i use. it's the dual fryer from academy. i use 2 15.5g keggles on it, and have done 11 gallon batches routinely on it for a few years. a friend referred me to it who has used it for years, also. it's great, and very inexpensive for a stand

Do you use it for boil and hlt? If so do you pump?

i have a keggle mash tun, but i use a cooler if only doing regular brewing instead of a step mash. i rarely need 3 keggles, but if i do, i have an additional regular propane burner for that

Back