Single step or two step starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
I hope I have not waited to long for this. I plan on brewing this all grain batch Tuesday morning. The only concern I have is that the yeast I will be using is a little past it's use by date. (WLP400 March 11th 2014).

BeerSmith shows I need 329.3billion (1 vial with a 1.75liter starter) Mr. Malty shows 308billion. (2 vials with a 2.22 liter starter). I never gave a thought to needing to do a two step starter till a few minutes ago. Sadly, I won't even get home from till about 10Am tomorrow morning and since the vial is still in the fridge, it would be tomorrow evening before it's warmed up enough to start the starter.

Recipe is for a 5 gallon batch, but I plan to top off to maybe 6 gallon depending on OG. Recipe for kit shows OG of 1.055, but Beersmith has it at 1.072. Could be a typo since I recall the person at the shop asking if I wanted the higher ABV option. Never the less, I'll top off to as much as a 6.5 gallon carboy will allow w/o risking a nasty blow off.

Here is my grain bill and recipe.

8 lbs Pale Ale Malt Rahr 2-Row (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 59.3 %
5 lbs Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 37.0 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.7 %
0.30 oz Warrior [13.30 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 4 13.2 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -
0.50 oz Lemon Peel (Boil 10.0 mins) Flavor 6 -
2.40 g Seeds of Paradise (Boil 10.0 mins) Spice 7 -
0.50 oz Hallertau [4.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min

Could I get by with using a single step starter? I don't think I'll have enough time to get a two step in before Tuesday morning.

Can always buy another packet of yeast and toss that into yojr starter.... bump ya up 100 billion in a jiffy

Can always buy another packet of yeast and toss that into yojr starter.... bump ya up 100 billion in a jiffy

Wish that were an easy option. HBS is 65 miles south of me and the chore list for Monday after getting off work will include about 6-7 hours of mowing, and a couple hours of house work before I'll be able to hit the sack that night.

Back