Single measure hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UdonPete

Reaction score
I am looking for a swingle measure hydrometer to make reading of it easier (my eyesight is not 100%)
i.e. is there a hydrometer that just measures the SG of beer and not wines etc – a single scale hydrometer in other words?

Thank you, I keep getting this message but I will try again later :

We are sorry, but the page you are trying to access has experienced an error.

Please contact [email protected] to report this problem.

Go Back To Home Page
It's called
Brewer's Edge® Precision Specific Gravity
if you can get to williamsbrewing.com.

What country, Japan maybe? I did see one that I think was UK but I am located in the US and have limited experience having stuff shipped internationally.

It's called
Brewer's Edge® Precision Specific Gravity
if you can get to williamsbrewing.com.

What country, Japan maybe? I did see one that I think was UK but I am located in the US and have limited experience having stuff shipped internationally.
Thailand - to give you an example I ordered a new BIAB bag from The Brew Bag a month ago and still waiting :(

That sucks...my mom typically sends a Christmas box to my brother in the Philippines I think she said early October but it's not guaranteed for Christmas this year. Package goes by boat.

China's right there by you, no luck in that direction?

That sucks...my mom typically sends a Christmas box to my brother in the Philippines I think she said early October but it's not guaranteed for Christmas this year. Package goes by boat.

China's right there by you, no luck in that direction?
I will try - and thank you for your suggestions

You might consider getting a set of hydrometers that only measure a narrower range.

One for OG ranges you typically have and another that measures the very narrow range that most beers ferment to for an FG.

Those many times have a wider spacing between the markings and are easier to read.

Some online brew shops have them or you can look for them at laboratory supply houses.

Packaged sets of two or three many times are just as inexpensive as a single wider ranging hydrometer.

For times I'm having trouble seeing the tick marks on something I'm measuring, I sometimes snap a picture with my phone and just zoom in till it's big enough for me to make it out.

For times I'm having trouble seeing the tick marks on something I'm measuring, I sometimes snap a picture with my phone and just zoom in till it's big enough for me to make it out.

Amen brother! I do this quite a bit. More as I get older.

I had to take a picture of a micrometer at work to read it. Sad.

This will only solve half of your problem but have you considered a refractometer for sg readings?
I started using one when I began to press my own apples for cider. It’s great because I don’t have to fill up a whole cylinder. Just a couple of drops. Ever since I use it for beer brewing as well. Just so much easier.
I still use a hydrometer for fg readings though.

My eyesight isn’t great so it’s helpful to use the refractometer.

Back