Single Hop advice for a IBA & RIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkling

Reaction score
I bought 8 oz each of Amarillo & Citra hops from freshops. I'm planning on brewing an India Black Ale (or Cascadian Dark, if you must) and a Rye IPA. I'd like to make one with principally Amarillo & one with principally Citra.

I'm looking for recommendations -- Amarillo IBA & Citra RIPA? Or Citra IBA & Amarillo RIPA?

I made an amazing Red IIPA with Magnum hops (bittering) and Amarillo for aroma, flavoring, and dry hops. ALL of the great characteristics of the beer came from the Amarillo. I would assume an all Amarillo would be good, but I've never used Amarillo for bittering.

The only single hop IPA or APA I did that I didn't like at all was the all-citra beer. WAY too much mango flavor for me. I ended up dryhopping with some cascade in the keg to help with the Juicy Fruit gum flavor.

But I love an all-amarillo beer! That sounds great, if you've got enough amarillo hops. Either the rye or the black IPA would be great with amarillo!

Back