single bottle bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacefive

Reaction score
Hello,

So, I brewed my first all grain, a heff, it came out awesome. I checked its gravity and it was stable for 2 days, so I bottled. I carbonated it according to style, which is on the higher side. After a few weeks, some went in my fridge, some in the closet, and I brought a 6 pack to a friends house. He left the pack on his counter for about a week, and called me today to tell me one bottle exploded during the day.

Should I worry about my other bottles? All the ones in the closet have been fine, i carefully checked and moved them outside. Is it a contaminated bottle causing over carbonation? The others appear to be perfectly carbonated...

Thanks!

It could be that that one bottle was infected. It could be that you didn't mix the priming sugar well enough. It could also be an imperfection in just that one bottle. If it was me, I would put all the remaining bottles somewhere where a bottle bomb wouldn't hurt anything/anyone. Maybe a large rubbermaid tub out in the garage, or in a box in a closet wrapped with towels. Just be careful, no point getting hurt over beer.

Yeah, the box full is outside right now. I put one in the fridge and opened it once it was cool. Didn't appear over carbonated so Im guessing it was a single bottle issue. At least its tasty!

It was probably just a weak spot in the bottle. The only bottle I've ever had break had a thin spot at the bottom that was very apparent when the bottom popped off.

My guess is that it was a dinged bottle.

I was rinsing a bottle yesterday and noticed there was a bit of the bottom chipped out. That one may have been a bomb in the making.... into the recycling bin.

Latest posts

Back