Since I have been hooked on brewing, my other hobbies miss me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So anyone else loose focus on other hobbies since brewing?

I have brewed on and off with partial mash for about 3 years, but last fall I went all grain and was hooked beyond belief.

Well the side effect is that my other hobbies were put on the back burner, mostly photography. Anyways, I need to get out there now that it is spring and there is some pretty good landscapes this time of year before they get toasted by the heat.

Here are some samples from stuff last year.

2479493730_9a1c35fd2e.jpg

Sleeping under stars in Big Sur

2490782739_4160d29de1.jpg

Discovery Park in Seattle

2546769701_b7d021351e.jpg

After sunset in Cayucos, CA

2881423442_8cc941e34c.jpg

A nice Sunrise at Lake Tahoe

It's easy for me, brewing created my two major hobbies. Brewing and Drinking.

I enjoy the outdoors but don't spend enough time there.

BTW: Your pictures rock. Some of us take an occasional good picture out of luck, yours takes skill.

yeah, my Mustang use to get a weekend bath, and a deep cleaning once a month or so, loud exhaust, cold air intakes, tuners, and anymore all i want to do is brew my next beer...all i think about is brewing my next beer, wondering how my latest beers will turn out...how to go about kegging...oh man...i feel bad for my other hobbies...maybe i need to clean the car this weekend?

Other hobbies? What's that? :confused:

Those pictures are beautiful!!! :mug:

Thanks! Yeah, that is kinda what I have thought for the past few months. I had someone ask me the other day, "so this is a hobby for you now" I was like uhh duh.. I have been talking your ear off about brewing beer for the last 15 minutes"

I tend to go in cycles between home brewing, firearm projects and Jeeping. I get burnt out or finish a major project and move on to something new. Lately it's been my Jeep project consuming what little hobby time I have. Can't wait to get it rolling before Summer.

Great stuff. I somehow always manage to pick the most expensive hobbies, but yes, my other hobbies (which I couldn't do much with due to lack of money) have been put on hold. Performance computer, High Quality Audio, Performance car, and now brewing. I still need wider wheels and tires, suspension, and at least a cam, heads would be nice too, for my LS1 Z28.

My dogs, of course.
IMG_3369.JPG

Home cinema.
IMG_3017.JPG

Neons.
IMG_2975.JPG

Cars. (These area friend's cars)
Sir_Wilfred_and_Rudgerd.JPG

along with a huge variety of others. Although it is a new hobby, Homebrewing is counted among my favorites!

My dogs, of course.
IMG_3369.JPG

My dog consumes a lot of my time too
P1040814.JPG

Home cinema.
IMG_3017.JPG

Very cool projector, That is the serious kind. I only have one of those small dinky home theater projectors, well I have another one in the pool room but it is a cheapy.

Cars. (These area friend's cars)
Sir_Wilfred_and_Rudgerd.JPG

Those are some nice cars. I wish I had time and more room for cars. I have been looking for a old mucle car to get me into the hobby that would be a project, but I just keep telling myself I don't have the room at our house. So as soon as I move, we're in business.

I found this forum by floating over from the Curtpalme projector forum. CRT projectors are funny things!

The two cars are a 1932 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith and a 1934 Derby Bentley. I've been given the extreme pleasure of driving both of them along with the other cars in my friend's collection from time to time.

My cars are all three Third Generation Camaros.

I used to fly, but I'll need to win the lottery in order to be able to afford to do that ever again. But I have rediscovered motorcycling. I brought my Yamaha Triple back from the dead last summer, and plan on riding all over the state this summer.

I found this forum by floating over from the Curtpalme projector forum. CRT projectors are funny things!

The two cars are a 1932 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith and a 1934 Derby Bentley. I've been given the extreme pleasure of driving both of them along with the other cars in my friend's collection from time to time.

My cars are all three Third Generation Camaros.

Very nice, I would like to have a CRT pj if I could set up what it needed for a fixed throw distance, but they are still pretty spendy aren't they?

And Camaros, last summer I was really on a hunt for a 1st gen that was a intermediate project, but man, they have really gone up in price since I last looked :confused:

I used to collect Les paul guitars. Some vintage..Since I've been brewing, I haven't bought one..My wife's happy because they cost many thousands of dollars...

I used to fly, but I'll need to win the lottery in order to be able to afford to do that ever again. But I have rediscovered motorcycling. I brought my Yamaha Triple back from the dead last summer, and plan on riding all over the state this summer.

So you use to fly, that is cool. Do you have to pay property tax on airplanes in WI?

Motorcycles are one thing that has interested me for sure, but also one thing where the SWMBO would put her foot down on. I will probably compromise when I get more room by getting a dirt bike to play with. I tell her that it is just all the other crazy people on the road you have to worry about, but if I was on a dirt trail I am all good :) It is just funny since my dad is up to 8 Harleys now and he just started collecting like 3-4 years ago, but that is what happens with addictions I guess :)

i've been into jeeping found this forum through jeepforum.com, but now that i've gotten a new car and my jeep acquired death wobble it's been on the back burner, i think i might sell it this summer. i hope one day i can afford to buy and restore an old cj-2a or cj-5, but then again dosent every jeeper haha.

the jeep
bigjeepatcliffs.jpg

oh yeah back in high school i stared to build a bass guitar, gotta finish that too ha.
guitar1.jpg

i've been into jeeping found this forum through jeepforum.com, but now that i've gotten a new car and my jeep acquired death wobble it's been on the back burner, i think i might sell it this summer. i hope one day i can afford to buy and restore an old cj-2a or cj-5, but then again dosent every jeeper haha.

the jeep
bigjeepatcliffs.jpg

oh yeah back in high school i stared to build a bass guitar, gotta finish that too ha.
guitar1.jpg

It looks like your bass is almost done in that picture and by all the scrap wood and sawdust on the floor, just after you cut and sanded it. I tried to start teaching myself to play guitar, then my amp and guitar got stolen as did anything worth more than $20 in my house for that matter.

yeah, tha'ts about as it sits right now, i need to get a new router bit to radius the edges with, and a better power sander so i can finish sand it. then its just a matter of paint and wiring. but who know how long that will take me haha

I just came in from the garage from setting up the timing on my 350 SBC in my 85 CJ-7. Just getting it tuned up for some Jersey surf fishing soon. Still trying to get it idling right. Never ends. :)

Computers are another hobby, although they have been stressing me the last couple weeks. I have three family members computers in the computer room running lenghty and deep virus cleansing. These ones have been kicking my butt for two weeks. Still haven't reformatted though :)

I haven't been camping in years, but then I moved to rural Oregon 5 years ago and don't need to.

Recently brewing has been back-burnered as I cut my way through the downed trees from December's snowstorm.

I seem to have a taste for expensive hobbies. Right before really getting into brewing I spent $1.5k or so on an almost complete re-do of my computer. The only thing I didn't do because it wasn't too old at the time was the video card. Been thinking about upgrading that, but been so busy with other stuff I don't get much time to play anymore anyway.

Also used to fly RC airplanes. Have a gas Big Stik trainer type plane, a couple electric flying wings, and a couple thermal gliders. Moved during college, didn't really have the time or space to fly them. Right around the time I stopped flying the batteries were starting to die from the abuse I dished out. Between where I left them and the couple years they haven't been touched, I basically would need a complete replacement of all batteries.

I actually popped into the hobby store the other day. When I stopped, Li-poly batts were just getting started. Looks like they're pretty much the thing now, which means in addition to new batteries I'd also have to get chargers, etc. I'd need something in the neighborhood of $300 to get everything up and running again, but at this point I'm lacking the time more than anything.

My other hobbies are woodworking, guitar, and cars. They have all taken a backseat to beer. This summer, though, I think I will get back into the woodworking. My shop is lonely.

I seem to have a taste for expensive hobbies. Right before really getting into brewing I spent $1.5k or so on an almost complete re-do of my computer. The only thing I didn't do because it wasn't too old at the time was the video card. Been thinking about upgrading that, but been so busy with other stuff I don't get much time to play anymore anyway.

Also used to fly RC airplanes. Have a gas Big Stik trainer type plane, a couple electric flying wings, and a couple thermal gliders. Moved during college, didn't really have the time or space to fly them. Right around the time I stopped flying the batteries were starting to die from the abuse I dished out. Between where I left them and the couple years they haven't been touched, I basically would need a complete replacement of all batteries.

I actually popped into the hobby store the other day. When I stopped, Li-poly batts were just getting started. Looks like they're pretty much the thing now, which means in addition to new batteries I'd also have to get chargers, etc. I'd need something in the neighborhood of $300 to get everything up and running again, but at this point I'm lacking the time more than anything.

There are a lot of things that I don't even think of as a hobby like that. I have been doing my owner computers for quite some time too. I just upgraded my HTPC to 6GB of ram, through in another 1.5TB drive for storage and had to upgrade the OS to a 64bit one to take advantage of that ram, also put in a bluray drive.

This thing is a beast, I have the raptor 10K hard drive for my OS/application drive, but this is the machine that supplies entertainment to the whole house or a lot of it at any rate. I am hardly ever on it because I don't have an actual monitor hooked up to it, but it is split to the master bedroom, the pool room and to the receiver in the living room which then can be split between the Rear projection TV or the Front projector.

Life is sweet in the living room with the 150" screen 18" 550 watt sub by elemental designs, I got their tower setup for the front and their center channel too. It is great stuff, the sub literally shakes the house, the SWMBO always has to turn it down, but it gives good back massages while sitting on the couch. Anyways, I use to frequent avsforums for all of that stuff, but since I have got back into brewing I haven't been over there.

Photography is a huge one, I had my first digital SLR stolen a while back and the new model of what I wanted wasn't out so I decided to go backwards to film for a while when I bought a Canon 1v-HS, the best film camera that you can find in a lot of peoples opinion that are not nikon people. Since then, I have picked up a 40D and a few nice lenses 17-40 f/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L and a whole bunch of accessories to go with them.

Since I bought my house, I have become a handy man. I have taken a 40 year old house that really didn't have any renovations what-so-ever and upgraded/updated almost everything.

Anyways, brewing is great! Gotta get back to work now.

There are a lot of things that I don't even think of as a hobby like that.

Yeah, computer stuff became more of a utility than a hobby for me. When I worked at a helpdesk, if I came home and had problems with my own computer, I just turned it off and did something else.

Now my main pc is pretty much a glorified file server/download box. Have 4x750gb drives on a hardware raid 5 card, and it serves up tv and movies to two modded xboxes and our other pcs. Unfortunately the existing array is almost full. Thankfully, I have 4 open hotswap bays. Right around the time I run out of upgrades to make on my brewing equipment, 2tb drives will probably be cheap.

Back