Simpson's Golden Promise In An IPA - Anyone Done It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHBWNY

Reaction score
Got a recipe for a single hop IPA. Base malt is supposed to be 9# "English Pale Malt". At the LHBS, the closest they had was Munton's Pale. They also had Maris Otter and Simpson's Golden Promise (Scottish). The Munton's I wasn't sure about, MO was in the running, but the SGP is supposed to be a little more malty/less biscuity than MO, so I'm giving it a whirl. Along with it, the recipe calls for 2# Caramel 20 and 1# Victory. 2.3 oz. Chinook @ 6 additions. Has anyone used SGP for an IPA recipe and what do you think of this one?

for my base malts in anything citrusy, I do 50% GP and 50% 2-row. Works out wonderfully.

If I am reading your grain bill correctly, it is saying 2 lbs 20L? more a pale ale recipe than an IPA maybe.

I've got a NEIPA with base 50/50 grains of 2-Row and Golden Promise fermenting right now. First time I'm using it. But all the cool kids are doing it, so I'm in.

I'll let you know how it works out but with more than 24 ozs of hops in the 11G batch I think I'm gonna like it :)

Golden Promise is relatively close to Maris Otter, and will give you a beer with similar results. I find it is a great choice for IPAs to provide a bit more of a malt backbone than just American 2-row will.

Surly Brewing up here in MN uses GP in their beer Furious, its darn tasty. Have fun with it!

Just kegged a batch of IPA using 75% GP and it is the best one I've made to date. I mashed low so its not overly malty but I find I like the flavor profile bettern than my past batches using US 2 Row. My 2 cents.

If I am reading your grain bill correctly, it is saying 2 lbs 20L?

Yup. 9# GP, 2# 20L and 1# Victory. I agree it sounds a little malt-fwd for an IPA, esp. with only 2+ oz. Chinook to balance it. I am intrigued by the idea of GP and 2-row 1:1. Should I be considering either cutting back on the 20L or replacing [part of] it with something else?

My last DIPA had 7 lbs each GP and Pearl with .75 lbs 20L. While a great batch, probably had perhaps a quarter pound too much 20L. 20 L is really sweet to me.

I would bet that 5 lb GP and 5 lb 2-row or other (Pearl yummy) with a pound of Victory would not need even a full pound of 20 L.

My last DIPA had 7 lbs each GP and Pearl with .75 lbs 20L. While a great batch, probably had perhaps a quarter pound too much 20L. 20 L is really sweet to me.

I would bet that 5 lb GP and 5 lb 2-row or other (Pearl yummy) with a pound of Victory would not need even a full pound of 20 L.

Mind if I ask what your hop schedule was? You see, whatever I end up doing grain-wise, I want the 2.3 oz. of Chinook to work for this recipe.

Mind if I ask what your hop schedule was? You see, whatever I end up doing grain-wise, I want the 2.3 oz. of Chinook to work for this recipe.

Did this - not a hop bomb or super juicy, but really quite nice. Was used as an introduction to home brew IPA for a friend and it came out very well

0.5 oz Chinook FWH
0.5 oz citra @ 10
2.0 oz Cascade @ 5

Hop Stand (30 min @ 165)
1.5 oz Citra
1.5 oz Chinook
1.0 oz Cascade

Dry Hop – 5 days
2.0 oz Citra
1.5 oz Chinook
1.0 oz Cascade

Did this - not a hop bomb or super juicy, but really quite nice. Was used as an introduction to home brew IPA for a friend and it came out very well

0.5 oz Chinook FWH
0.5 oz citra @ 10
2.0 oz Cascade @ 5

Hop Stand (30 min @ 165)
1.5 oz Citra
1.5 oz Chinook
1.0 oz Cascade

Dry Hop – 5 days
2.0 oz Citra
1.5 oz Chinook
1.0 oz Cascade

Thanks!

I love GP in IPAs. It plays really well with fruity hops. Anymore I am using ~70-75% GP as my base malt in hoppy beers.

I love GP in IPAs. It plays really well with fruity hops. Anymore I am using ~70-75% GP as my base malt in hoppy beers.

Me too! I've been using golden promise for years, after trying Surly's Furious IPA in 2008. Surly uses golden promise for the base malt, and I was hooked.

I use it often in IPAs, and love the warm malt note in there.

I did a GP and Galaxy SMaSH. It turned out great, but Galaxy was the star of that show.

Can you give me any details about how you did your SMaSH? I did the same SMaSH but was disappointed in the end result. Nothing really shined and one friend refered to it as bitter water.

me too! I've been using golden promise for years, after trying surly's furious ipa in 2008. Surly uses golden promise for the base malt, and i was hooked.

I use it often in ipas, and love the warm malt note in there.

x2!

Can you give me any details about how you did your SMaSH? I did the same SMaSH but was disappointed in the end result. Nothing really shined and one friend refered to it as bitter water.

14 lbs Golden Promise (OG 1.065)
2oz Galaxy @ 20 min
2oz Galaxy @ 5 min
2oz Galaxy @ flameout
2oz Galaxy dry hop 5 days

Mash at 150
Yeast: US-05.

Finished at 1.01 for 7.2% ABV

I skipped a 60min addition due the advice from folks here at home brew talk.

This beer turned out really cloudy for some reason, like a NEIPA. My wife called it UTI beer (although she loved it too). I am not sure why. I know some here blame US-05 for cloudy beer but all my other beers with US-05 turn out super clear. I even tossed some irish moss in the boil. I was tempted to fine with gelatin but didn't want to sacrifice any of that yummy hop aroma.

2oz Galaxy @ 20 min
2oz Galaxy @ 5 min
2oz Galaxy @ flameout

Mash at 150

This beer turned out really cloudy for some reason, like a NEIPA. My wife called it UTI beer (although she loved it too). I am not sure why. I know some here blame US-05 for cloudy beer but all my other beers with US-05 turn out super clear. I even tossed some irish moss in the boil. I was tempted to fine with gelatin but didn't want to sacrifice any of that yummy hop aroma.

I've heard on technical brewing postcasts that some hop compounds, boiled, aid in certain reactions that help make the beer end up clearer. (Yet another the many ways hops are awesome.)
Might be worth a small charge at the start. Sounds like an exBeeriment waiting to happen!

2oz Galaxy @ 20 min
2oz Galaxy @ 5 min
2oz Galaxy @ flameout

Mash at 150

Thanks for posting. I think my problem was I had a huge 60 minute addition and then a moderate 10 minute addition and dry hop which would explain the bitter water analogy. Next time around I will only do late additions similar to what you did.

I do a PM with GP and it's always cloudy, even with gelatin. And I use s04.

I've been using golden promise for years, after trying Surly's Furious IPA in 2008. Surly uses golden promise for the base malt, and I was hooked.

It's the ONLY malt in Todd the Axeman (the beer that inspired me to try it) and that beer is pretty cloudy.

There is a smaller local brewery here that has only a single silo. They use bags for everything else. Anyway, that silo is filled with GP.

Golden promise always cleared well for me, although I got a few dough balls in the mash like I do with maris otter. I'm using a malt now from CMC, a Canadian two-row, and that malt is the one that I'm finding makes a cloudy beer even if the mash pH is right on. It may be a wee bit higher protein content, but I love the flavor and price of this malt for my US style beers and it's driving me crazy that it's cloudy and the Briess is not! So I know that having a beer be cloudy unexpectedly due to the base malt is frustrating.

Golden promise always cleared well for me, although I got a few dough balls in the mash like I do with maris otter. I'm using a malt now from CMC, a Canadian two-row, and that malt is the one that I'm finding makes a cloudy beer even if the mash pH is right on. It may be a wee bit higher protein content, but I love the flavor and price of this malt for my US style beers and it's driving me crazy that it's cloudy and the Briess is not! So I know that having a beer be cloudy unexpectedly due to the base malt is frustrating.

Looking back at my notes I used calcium chloride and gypsum in my water (I typically only add gypsum and blend my water 1:1 filtered tap and RO with small acid additions). pH was a bit high at 5.5 (normally shoot for something around 5.3) but still in a good range. So many variables. In the end it did not matter, the beer was tasty and that is what is important.

I would like to use more Golden Promise, but at my LHBS it is quite a bit more expensive compared to their 2-row.

I've got a NEIPA with base 50/50 grains of 2-Row and Golden Promise fermenting right now. First time I'm using it. But all the cool kids are doing it, so I'm in.

I'll let you know how it works out but with more than 24 ozs of hops in the 11G batch I think I'm gonna like it :)

Wondered how this worked out. I haven't brewed with the Golden Promise yet.

Brewed with the SGP last Friday: 5-gal, 9# SGP, 2# cara 20, 1# Victory, 2 oz. Chinook. Because I forgot to pre-heat my very cool mash tun, mash temp for first 20 min. was 142F. With the extra water it took to raise temp, plus sparge, I over-shot pre-boil vol by ~1 gal. Then I didn't boil it down to correct PBV before adding the hops, so the 2 oz. of Chinook got 2 hrs. Figuring this would create too much bitterness, I added 1 C of honey at flameout as; not intended as a solution to but more a 'distraction from' what I presumed was going be an overly-bitter taste. Besides, what harm could a little extra dryness, ABV, and hint of sweetness do? Although at this point this is no longer a purebred IPA. More like a mongrel! I could market it in Canada and call it, "Mutt Pee, Eh?"

Tasted it yesterday (1.014). Wow! I somehow dodged the over-bitter bullet (plus no hint of tannins). While it is slightly bitter on the backside, it's not objectionable and at this point what I would call "very drinkable"; can't wait to try it again in 2 weeks.

Back