"Simply".....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tristan1220

Reaction score
So I've made numerous batches of cider and all turn out excellent. Well... I just tried using the brand Simply Apple. I'm getting zero results.

Also I'm trying Simply Lemonade, and no results.
Both flavors don't have the extra additives that we don't want.

Idk what the issue is.

Help!!!

What do you mean by zero results? No fermentation starting? No delicious outcome? You're saying no sorbate in them? No sulfite?

Just like with my ciders I have used champagne yeast. Those other batches took 24hrs to take off.

I've used the apple and the lemonade and they both worked for me. The lemonade went into a skeeter pee I made earlier this summer and I used 2 of the simply apple for a 1 gallon batch. I don't remember the yeast I used.

Ok cool!!! Thank you for that positive note. I usually get a reaction within 24 hrs from my other bachs. That's why I'm worried. If you say don't worry then ill wait a couple more days.

tristan1220 said:
Ok cool!!! Thank you for that positive note. I usually get a reaction within 24 hrs from my other bachs. That's why I'm worried. If you say don't worry then ill wait a couple more days.

The lemonade especially will take longer to get going because of the high acidity, and I'm sure it has preservatives too. I'd keep the lemonade at a little higher temp than your cider too

I've had to offset the high acidity level when making either hard lemonade or skeeter pee. The yeast doesn't like it when the ph is below ~3.2... I would give the yeast at least 3 days before I got worried.

Also, if you've not added any nutrient to the musts/batches, I'd do so.

Certain kinds of nutrients or....

What I use for my meads, and such (basically anything that's not a beer): DAP (rarely use it now), Fermax and Yeast Energizer. The last time I picked up Fermax and Yeast Energizer, I got 1# bags. Much more economically priced that way (compared with the smaller bottles/jars). I simply use the recommended dosage for a yeast that's in the low to moderate nutrient need range. For something that's needy for nutrient (like RC-212) I'll use more.

Besides my skeeter pee and margarita wine, I've never needed to use nutrient or energizer. What yeast are you using and what temperature are you attempting to ferment at?

Back