Simple SMaSH(ish) Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strangelove

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm going to brew my 4th BIAB and would like to make a simple beer to help refine my technique. My previous attempts have had multiple grains which, I think, makes it harder for me to detect off flavors.

I have 40# of Breiss Pale 2 row and a variety of leftovers: Crystal 40, Black, chocolate, wheat. oats.

I have 2.5 oz of Saaz, 1 oz of Norther Brewer, 1.5 oz of Kent Golding, all pellet.

I have WL Irish Ale and WL Saison, 2 packets of Cooper's (the backups).

I initially planned 95% 2 row with a touch of chocolate for color, Saison and Saaz, but after reading about the "funkiness" of Saison yeast I'm not sure it fits the bill. It's also in the mid to high 60's in my brewery, which I think may be too cool for Saison yeast. Perhaps putting the primary in the furnace room would work.

Any BIAB recipe suggestions on a nice, clean beer would be appreciated.

For me, 97% 2-row, 3% C40, about 40 IBUs from NB, and Irish Ale yeast. Simple, clean, and tasty :)

How about this?

Recipe: 2 Row Simpleton
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Cream Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.74 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 4.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 19.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 97.8 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 2.2 %
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 14.2 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 4 -
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 5.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg Irish Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast 6 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 4.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 30.26 qt of water at 154.5 F 147.9 F 90 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

I was thinking of a pale ale, I guess, but I like where you're going on this! I hope you'll post your results.

Brewed it today. Nice and pale yellow until I added the 2 Liter starter I made with Malta Goya. Now it's much darker. I really thought it wouldn't add much color in a 6 gallon batch. Wrong. Lesson learned.

Turned out pretty nice. Light, with a just slightly brown int he mostly yellow color. Not very hoppy (of course), but very quaffable. My only real complaint is that the head retention leaves a lot to be desired, but that's to be expected with the recipe I made. Maybe a touch of flaked barley next time.

Back