Simple Question....how to install co2 regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mister704

Reaction score
I am a SUPER noob when it comes to the pressurized gas thing. So I have a new mini keg beer dispenser that I now started to rig to use a 12oz paintball tank.

The regulator that originally came with the dispenser already fits the tank so I do not need an adapter. I screwed it together before I got the tank filled.

Now....the tank is filled and I cannot screw it on without spewing co2 everywhere. What am I doing wrong?

How do I attach the regulator to the tank without spewing gas everywhere?

Am I supposed to open the regulator a little first so that the co2 goes out the side then close it off or what? I am at a complete lost. ALL help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

IMG_20141008_213710.jpg

Vyp6tKvOJF189pbpM17YnwXJQiD4B1nWuEc5BYBd18M=w517-h689-no

Video of exact setup I am creating

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGZr1jvuGKY[/ame]

I would guess that turning the top knob on the regulator counter clockwise reduces pressure, turn it enough and the pressure will be zero, or OFF.

I would guess that turning the top knob on the regulator counter clockwise reduces pressure, turn it enough and the pressure will be zero, or OFF.

That is true but when I did that it was so much more difficult to screw down. I guess I am going to just have to lose some co2 then.

?????? Difficult to screw on?

Use the protrusions on the regulator body to screw it on, and not the regulator knob.

Yea I was. The problem was the can felt like it simply wanted to rocket the other way. BUT I finally got with the guy in the video and he gave me all the information I need.

So I will have it attached once I get home today.

His response to me was:

I do remember mine tried to vent out when threading it,
If you leave the regulator open a little bit while your threading it it helps
also once you know your threads are not cross threaded, the paintball type tank should thread directly into the valve / regulator gauge, get it started and when you here it
connecting and starts to hiss you have to continue to push in and turn in to complete the seal,
its almost scary how it wants to vent out, but it doesn’t complete the seal until it “bottoms out”
against the rubber washer and the top of the tank, your regulator should have a little seal in there
that has to connect with the top of the rim of the c02 tank. mine scares me a little every time I thread it

I want to also let you know I have pushed as high as 24 psi into my mini keg to help carbonate
and then drop to around 7 lb for serving give or take, it definitely helps to prechill the glass a minute or two
in the freezer or just running some cold water over the glass , and to tilt the glass at like 50 deg angle.

ps , another thing worth mentioning, is the top of the T tube that goes down into the keg doesn’t like to come out
what ever you do if it gets stuck to not twist back and forth, the will break and cost you $29.00 shipped from www.vinotemp.com
I use a tine bit of keg lube at the top of the pickup tube (I actually us chap stick because it is food grade and I have some) lol

but when I run empty I

1 turn off the c02,
2 get a glass and vent out pressure and final trube
3 disconnect the quick disconnects, always have a couple paper towel handy
4 take the keg with T pickup tube still in it to the sink
5 run warm water over the top and the pickup tube and try to GENTLY release it by just holding the release button
and holding it close to center if you pull very hard on the outer most parts you can also over torque the dang things
when you do get it out , just since first with warm water a couple time immediately and then i spray PBW in it and
shake the hell out of it! , then repeat with star san, don’t leave that stuff on for extended periods because it is citric
acid based and will start to rust things, rinse and air dry and she will be ready to go again, I have used mine about
15 times or so before It needed repairs. I remember last fill was from a local brewer, and I skipped the keg lube at the T fitting
and also was in a hurry when was trying to disassemble 

I'm sure you already thought of this but awhile back I was rigging up a portable keggerator (igloo with a faucet) and bought 20oz paintball and regulator adapter to use with my existing regulator. When I installed it, CO2 just blew out like crazy. I soon found out that I needed to replace the white plastic o-ring around the top of the tank. These rings are one time use so if you screw anything on top of it, they're done. Also, while screwing on the regulator, you'll get to a point when the gas blows out. Upon screwing it tighter, the leak will stop but just don't over tighten if it's still leaking. Hope that helps a little.

I'm sure you already thought of this but awhile back I was rigging up a portable keggerator (igloo with a faucet) and bought 20oz paintball and regulator adapter to use with my existing regulator. When I installed it, CO2 just blew out like crazy. I soon found out that I needed to replace the white plastic o-ring around the top of the tank. These rings are one time use so if you screw anything on top of it, they're done. Also, while screwing on the regulator, you'll get to a point when the gas blows out. Upon screwing it tighter, the leak will stop but just don't over tighten if it's still leaking. Hope that helps a little.

Yep...thanks for the heads up. I was going to see about finding some of those nylon washers. I may have to just take it out and switch it out. Need to make sure I have the right size first before though.

Those round washer may be paintball tank specific and I think they're pretty much standard size for 8oz, 12oz, 20oz. I bought a bag at a paintball store for $1.

After trying through an entire 120z tank of co2, I basically gave up. Went to Dicks Sporting Goods to get it refilled and the associate let me try it like 15 times and he kept filling it up so when..being if, I got it on I would have a full bottle.

After all those failed attempts, and my hand hurting, I gave up. But the guy was nice enough to fill it up again for me. I think he added a little too much because when I got home the dang tank just spewed all the gas from between the valve and the tank. I mean it popped like it was a gun then shot all of the gas out. Scared me sh!+less almost.

So I have given up and decided to switch the valve to a on/off valve that DOES NOT have a pin so my problem will be solved by Saturday(thank you Amazon prime). I have already removed the original valve.

61f-W%2BgCgkL._SX355_.jpg

-font-b-Paintball-b-font-accessories-valve-with-on-off-fiting-most-of-tanks-with.jpg

I've used these tanks for paintball for years. I can see a couple possible issues here.

1. Install fresh tank o-rings. We changed these out every couple of fills when playing.

2. Check the little nub inside if the regulator. It pushes down the valve stem to release the gas. I have seen ASAs (gas attachment fitting) that have these nubs too long and therefore the valve stem bottoms out just before the bottle seals.

3. Lube up the top oft he tank threads and oring with a silicon lubricant like found in a paintball store. It will improve the seal, make the oring last longer, and make threading the tank on easier.

4. When you get to the point that the tank seats on the valve stem quickly finish tightening so it doesn't blow off CO2.

Oh and to mister, what happened there is the burst disk blew out. Under the screw on the side of the valve stem is a little copper disk. It is rated to a certain pressure below the safe limit of the tank. When you repeatedly fill and empty he tank in short order the burst disk becomes fatigued and will blow. Its also worth mentioning that even on a 70 degree day in a car these disks will rupture.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've used these tanks for paintball for years. I can see a couple possible issues here.

1. Install fresh tank o-rings. We changed these out every couple of fills when playing.

2. Check the little nub inside if the regulator. It pushes down the valve stem to release the gas. I have seen ASAs (gas attachment fitting) that have these nubs too long and therefore the valve stem bottoms out just before the bottle seals.

3. Lube up the top oft he tank threads and oring with a silicon lubricant like found in a paintball store. It will improve the seal, make the oring last longer, and make threading the tank on easier.

4. When you get to the point that the tank seats on the valve stem quickly finish tightening so it doesn't blow off CO2.

Oh and to mister, what happened there is the burst disk blew out. Under the screw on the side of the valve stem is a little copper disk. It is rated to a certain pressure below the safe limit of the tank. When you repeatedly fill and empty he tank in short order the burst disk becomes fatigued and will blow. Its also worth mentioning that even on a 70 degree day in a car these disks will rupture.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Man thanks for the information. Scare the crap out of me...

And the o-ring I already lubed and you are right about the nub in the regulator. See this regulator came from a mini beer dispenser that worked with the 16g co2 puncture cartridge. And basically, it was connected into the regulator using an adapter. Well....I am not using an adapter for the bottle as it screws directly in.

At the end of the day, I like to do things once right and not have to worry about it again for a while. Hence the reason I purchased the new valve. It literally has no pin inside it so it should screw right into the regulator with a breeze. After that, I just open the valve to allow the co2 to flow into the regulator. And waaaaa-laaaaa we are done.

I will pay the little upfront money to get what I need and be done. I mean at the end of the day, I have spent roughly $88(including the first mini keg of Hofbrau Original) to get the system up and running when the system itself is a $315 item. So I cannot complain. It looks good, its works and hopefully this new valve solves all my issues.

What a refreshing surprise. I thought Amazon was going to fail me. New co2 tank adapter got delivered today. On a SUNDAY.

Immediately attached it to the tank and ran to get it filled. Connected it and set it to 10psi and it's holding perfect. And pushed out the beer great. So happy I got this thing working.

1413154562523.jpg

Back