Simple question about loe abv beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar_dog_1

Reaction score
I recently brewed 10 gallons of a northern english brown mild. I made a 2l starter on a stir plate of wlp 002. After brewing, I split it as best I could and pitched into 2 oxygenated 5.5 gallon buckets. Og was 1.035.

Fermentation took a while to kick and when it did, was very low key. Very small krausen. Its been 10 days and fg is 1.007. It tastes pretty good.

My question is why the low krausen an lack luster fermentation? Is it the yeast? Or is it because it is a low abv beer?

Thanks and brew on!!

Looks like you've got a thorough fermentation, so it doesn't sound like there is an issue with yeast.

There is a lot of variation in the activity of each fermentation. Some take off like a rocket and some are pretty low-key. I don't usually go very low-ABV but I would guess the relatively smaller amount of fermentable sugars would lead to a less aggressive activity.

Because it was a loe gravity beer...

Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

Temp, Gravity, yeast strain, specialty grains, yeast cell count, oxygen injected, etc. so many damn factors contribute to that kind of stuff.

Back