Simple Pints - A Digital Taplist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Btaz

Reaction score
I had been using Raspberry Pints ported over to my windows server for a while. Getting it installed was a hack job and the database calls never worked right. After upgrading my database and PHP, my Raspberry Pints install stopped working and a reinstall didn't work either (I was hoping that my upgrades eliminated the need for my hacks, but no luck). Raspberry Pints hasn't been updated in a few years so rather than figuring out how to do another hack install, I started searching for other options. I came across Kegerface which looked nice and rather than using database is just reads simple csv file. This worked out of the box, but I kind of liked the Raspberry Pints display better. This inspired me to mix the simplicity of Kegerface with the display of Raspberry Pints. I started with the raspberry pints code base. Then I cut out the database calls and added in a file read scheme. With a few more tweaks the first working version is online. There is more to do. The code is still messy with old code commented out and random test lines also commented out. Also, I'd like to change up the style.css a bit, but I'm also happy with what is working now. I've named it Simple Pints and posted to github.com to share just in case there is someone else who might find it useful. Here is my running version.

(originally posted on my own site): https://bt.beerprojects.com/wordpress/?p=2167

Last edited:
version 02.0
- Added logos
- added examples folder and setup instructions in readme
- added better beer color function (lookup vs algorithm)

Clicking the link and I get the following. Doesn't provide a "warm and fuzzy feeling".

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected an issue and did not continue to bt.beerprojects.com. The website is either misconfigured or your computer clock is set to the wrong time.

It’s likely the website’s certificate is expired, which prevents Firefox from connecting securely. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

What can you do about it?

Your computer clock is set to 1/7/2020. Make sure your computer is set to the correct date, time, and time zone in your system settings, and then refresh bt.beerprojects.com.

If your clock is already set to the right time, the website is likely misconfigured, and there is nothing you can do to resolve the issue. You can notify the website’s administrator about the problem.

Clicking the link and I get the following. Doesn't provide a "warm and fuzzy feeling".

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected an issue and did not continue to bt.beerprojects.com. The website is either misconfigured or your computer clock is set to the wrong time.

It’s likely the website’s certificate is expired, which prevents Firefox from connecting securely. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

What can you do about it?

Your computer clock is set to 1/7/2020. Make sure your computer is set to the correct date, time, and time zone in your system settings, and then refresh bt.beerprojects.com.

If your clock is already set to the right time, the website is likely misconfigured, and there is nothing you can do to resolve the issue. You can notify the website’s administrator about the problem.
ah, my cert had just expired and the updated cert wasn't loaded since I hadn't restarted my apache service. should be good to go now. just in case i attached a photo of my display today.
Screenshot_20200107-171830_Chrome.jpeg

I didn't review the code. Was the code modified from Raspberry Pints? If so, might have caused a lot of work for yourself as php can read/write to csv. Would have been a simple matter of modifying the existing code to use the csv files instead of mySQL/MariaDB.

I didn't review the code. Was the code modified from Raspberry Pints? If so, might have caused a lot of work for yourself as php can read/write to csv. Would have been a simple matter of modifying the existing code to use the csv files instead of mySQL/MariaDB.
yeah it is modified raspberry Pints code. i mostly removed the database calls with cvs reads.

This is exactly what I'm looking for, I downloaded the files and put them on my pi, installed Apache, but not sure we're the 'usr' folder you mention is, should the example go in the /var/www/html folder?

This is exactly what I'm looking for, I downloaded the files and put them on my pi, installed Apache, but not sure we're the 'usr' folder you mention is, should the example go in the /var/www/html folder?
Your the first user that i know of and i have an odd windows configuration so this might take some trials to get right. What i think you need to do is place the whole SimplePints folder in the DocumentRoot folder which is most likely your www/html folder. then within the SimplePints folder there should be a usr folder where you place the configuration files.

Your the first user that i know of and i have an odd windows configuration so this might take some trials to get right. What i think you need to do is place the whole SimplePints folder in the DocumentRoot folder which is most likely your www/html folder. then within the SimplePints folder there should be a usr folder where you place the configuration files.

Alright great I will try to make that directory and load it up.

I wrote a small program that displays a list of my 3 taps on a small lcd, and lets me manually log how much has been poured with a game controller.

I'm thinking it might be possible to load that screen with the same beers.csv file and use a separate pours.csv using the beer_id and display the keg level. Not as cool and automatic as flow meters, but a lot less overhead.

Got it up and running on my pi3 (running Buster), needed to run sudo apt-get install php7.3-xml to get the php simplexml code to work, but its up!

Nice work, bro. Do you know if is it easy to modify to metric system?

I could look into it, but what isn't in metric? I'm looking at my display and I didn't see anything that would need adjusting (og, fg, ibu, srm)
Nice work, bro. Do you know if is it easy to modify to metric system?

Last edited:
anything else to note to get it running? your probably the first person besides me to use this.
Got it up and running on my pi3 (running Buster), needed to run sudo apt-get install php7.3-xml to get the php simplexml code to work, but its up!

anything else to note to get it running? your probably the first person besides me to use this.

Nothing else at all, just put it in the apache folder.

This did inspire me to try to write my own app, and I am currently working on one using flask and python with just a simple sqllite database and a basic frontend to add and 'tap' beers with.

This is great, I loved Raspberry Pints but it's such a pain in the ass and it never works right anyway. Definitely going to give this a try.

Phraseology matters. Just clarifying that RaspberryPints can, in fact, work as intended...

Cheers!
i agree. I had a Rpints setup working for a long while though i had some minor issues with it. i had major problems with a mysql upgrade. ultimately, I realized that I did not need all the fancy aspects of Rpints and threw this together as another option.

Hi,

I'd love to get this set up but I'm definitely missing something. I'm loading the files from the example folder into the Apache folder (/var/www/html/SimplePints) but nothing is loading whatsoever, just the index. I imagine I still need the index.php file somewhere? Please excuse my ignorance I'm new to the RPi

Hi,

I'd love to get this set up but I'm definitely missing something. I'm loading the files from the example folder into the Apache folder (/var/www/html/SimplePints) but nothing is loading whatsoever, just the index. I imagine I still need the index.php file somewhere? Please excuse my ignorance I'm new to the RPi

Where is the browser configured to initially load things? Maybe just need to point the browser to the index.php. I'd also recommend editing the index.php to ensure it's configured (pointing) to the proper folder of items.

Not sure you really want to put the files in a folder below the DocumentRoot (which is likely /var/www/html) as I don't think Apache will look there without prodding or at least a fully qualified url...

Cheers!

Hi,

i am running on a windows apache server so my setup isn't quite the same. for me i go to <website>/simplepints/index.php

note above, @Digarden had to 'sudo apt-get install php7.3-xml'

I added a second webpage called Pint Log for displaying past beers.

Back