Simple pH input question. First time using Bru'n water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yourfriendmikem

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm attempting to do my first water adjustments on my next brew. I'm using Bru'n water, which I think I've got a hang of after tinkering for quite a while. However, I do not know what number I should use for my water pH when using distilled water.

I've read around and it seems like the general answer for Distilled water is 7, but the caveat is always added that it changes rapidly when exposed to air and is usually somewhere in the high 5's. I have also read that the pH of the water doesn't necessarily matter than much because its more about the grain bill. I haven't been able to find a clear and simple answer.

Any info will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Water pH is only used on the Sparge Acidification sheet and the actual value has little effect on the amount of acid recommended. Using a value of 7 should be OK.

Well, you got to start somewhere, so I think you have a good idea to input distilled water at 7 ph. W/O a ph meter to give you a solid value to input, I think you are safe.

If you add an acid like I do in my strike water, the ph will adjust itself to the correct mash ph due to the amounts and types of grains used when you mash in. You'll have this all input into Bru'n Water of course.

Try inputting 7ph and you should be golden.

Correct. I brew with water low in minerals and mostly just add gypsum and calcium chloride to hit the calcium target and balance the chloride/sulfates to the chosen flavour profile. You will likely also need some baking soda to raise the mash ph for stouts and roasty beers and acid malt or acid to lower it for pale beers.

Distilled water has a pH of about 6 and an alkalinity of 1.5 - 2 (ppm as CaCO3). Given that the alkalinity is so small it really doesn't matter what you use for the pH and I don't even think most of the popular programs recognize this small alkalinity of pure water. So use 0 and 6 or 0 and 7 (alkalinity and pH) and you'll be fine.

Back