Simple noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scruffy1207

Reaction score
Just made my first cider and I had three questions. First, how do I backsweeten? Second, when do I know if I need to backsweeten? And third, when do I backsweeten?

I know that I only need to do it if I think it needs more sweetness I have an idea of what it is but I'm not sure so I figured I would ask.

1. you add some form of sugar. but you need to inhibit the yeast first, most common way is to first add sulfite + sorbate
2. when you taste it and think to yourself "hmm, this could use some sugar" or in severe circumstances "this stuff took some of the enamel off my front teeth". generally this is done when it is completely done fermenting, and has cleared and aged a bit in the secondary.
3. generally just before bottling/kegging. you can use chemical weaponry on the yeast, sweeten to taste, leave it for a week to make sure there's no fermentation, bottle or keg

dinnerstick said:
1. you add some form of sugar. but you need to inhibit the yeast first, most common way is to first add sulfite + sorbate
2. when you taste it and think to yourself "hmm, this could use some sugar" or in severe circumstances "this stuff took some of the enamel off my front teeth". generally this is done when it is completely done fermenting, and has cleared and aged a bit in the secondary.
3. generally just before bottling/kegging. you can use chemical weaponry on the yeast, sweeten to taste, leave it for a week to make sure there's no fermentation, bottle or keg

You're the best this is exactly what I was looking for

Back