Simple Mashing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewTaster

Reaction score
When mashing do you add the water to the grain, or the grain to the water? Ive heard alot of debate about this, and personally have been adding water to the grain already in my mash tun (preheated tun), but it has come to my attention that I may be wrong in this. What do you guys do? :mug:

if it works, it works... i personally add my grain to the water... only because that's the way I have always done it...

Don't think it makes a REAL difference but I predict that most people will say that they add the grain to the water (ie, water first). That's how I have always done it.

I also add grain to water. When I add the water first, I make it a little hotter than strike temp to heat up my mash tun.

I also add grain to water. When I add the water first, I make it a little hotter than strike temp to heat up my mash tun.

+1. I tried water into grain the first time, missed my temp by a long shot. I now let the water heat up my cooler MLT for about 10 minutes, make sure it stabilizes at strike temp (adjust if necessary), then in the grain goes.

Grain to water....The primary reason I do it that way is to ensure my water tempearture is where it needs to be after it has preheated the Mash Tun. (15 gal Keggle)...especially in the winter time I have a hell of a time getting the "equipment adjustments" to work.

I always alternate when mashing in. I'll start by adding strike water to MLT, then add some of the grains and stir, then more water, more grains...you get the picture until I'm all mashed in. It helps prevent dough balls and seems to have helped efficiency for me lately too.

I do grain to water because it minimizes dough balls.

I have found the EXACT opposite to be true and have done it botch ways, but I add my water via hose/gravity and don't dump it all in at one time, so that may account for some of the difference?

I have quite a few batches under my belt that support my observation as well.

Back