Simple lager recipe. Homemade electric kettle, 2 gal MR Beer keg and bottle carb. BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syncman

Reaction score
I do 2 gallon recipes, and built my own temp controller. I recently came into possession of a Brewbysmith STC2000+, and a mini fridge. For my first lager, I want a simple recipe with a simple temp profile. Does such a thing exist? I did 1 lager last year, fermented 4 weeks at around 40deg. The beer was OK, but weak carb. I read that adding extra yeast to the bottle increases carb, but no indication of how much!

IMG_2954.JPG

Simple lager? Sure... I have a house lager one I do a lot.

Floppy Lagers

9 lbs. pilsen
8 oz crystal 15L

1 oz Saaz @ 60 min
.5 oz Styrian Goldings @ 15 min

Irish Moss @ 15 min

Saflager 34/70 (sprinkle right in. No need to rehydrate)

Ferment at 57 degrees for two weeks. Bring to room temp for 3 days for D rest. Rack to secondary. Slowly drop temp to about 36 degrees. Once at temp, lager for one month. Do the gelatin thing, keg, and enjoy.

It's a great pub/session beer.

Last edited:
I do 2 gallon recipes, and built my own temp controller. I recently came into possession of a Brewbysmith STC2000+, and a mini fridge. For my first lager, I want a simple recipe with a simple temp profile. Does such a thing exist? I did 1 lager last year, fermented 4 weeks at around 40deg. The beer was OK, but weak carb. I read that adding extra yeast to the bottle increases carb, but no indication of how much!

View attachment 564408

Did you use an online priming calculator to set the amount of sugar you used?
If not, I'd recommend it.
Also make sure to sit those bottles out for about 3 weeks at room temp before putting them in a fridge to lager.

Always used the MR Beer priming drops. 1 per 15oz Grolsch bottle. [Per mr. beer instructions] and usually good for their liquid malt extracts and the various all grain ale batches that I have done. Still a newbie to all grain.

Always used the MR Beer priming drops. 1 per 15oz Grolsch bottle. [Per mr. beer instructions] and usually good for their liquid malt extracts and the various all grain ale batches that I have done. Still a newbie to all grain.

All grain vs. extract won't affect amout of priming sugar needed.

I haven't used the drops before, but probably they are sized for a middle-of-the-road CO2 level for a 12oz bottle of beer.
A drop should be enough for a 15oz bottle, but perhaps on the low side carbonation wise - makes sense right? Same amount of sugar but larger qty of beer to carbonate.

Tip: Patience. Don't bottle too soon. Make sure your batch is done fermenting. If the batch isn't completely fermented when you bottle, you don't know what level of carbonation you will end up with.

Back