Simple Control Panel Build - Help Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Well, I have been sitting around thinking about getting this panel built, but that is about all that has been happening..Time to actually get some work done on this thing so I don't think I spent money on the parts just to have them collect dust..LOL..Anyway, I have the enclosure pretty much populated with the switches and lights..

As you can see in the picture I have labeled some controls to what function I want..This is a real simple 120v single element(2000 watt) and single pump system..I am thinking that I will just go ahead and wire it up as a 2 pump system for that MAYBE getting a 2nd pump- what for I don't know yet..So, I guess the switch and green light would be the element and the other 2 for pump control?

And as the title says, I will more then likely need some help with this as this will be the first time I have ever wired anything..I have a set of schematics from when I ordered the parts kit from Electric Brewing Supply for a 1 element 2 pump setup..Only thing different with my setup is I won't have an e-stop button..

Like I said I need some help..I have the supplied schematics, it is just that I am doing some mods(not utilizing the e-stop) and so I don't feel overly confident in modifying the schematic..As you can tell I am clueless with wiring..LOL.

Questions to follow..

control box.jpg

1st question is about the pump...I went cheap..IIRC I saw a post on here about using solar pumps..Anyway, I looked on eBay and found this pump..I ordered 2 of them, but somehow I must have done something and it got double shipped so I have 4 of these little guys sitting around..Now, to use I am going to need a transformer to supply it with 12 or 24 volts, right? And most importantly, would this pump even be up to the task of recirculating the wort?

I ordered a voltage AC to DC converter off Amazon..This should work as well?...Was studiously going through the Electric Brewing website and am slowly getting a grasp on how this thing needs to be wired up..So, hopefully I can tackle it this weekend..Daughter's friend(who works in the electrical field) will be by then and maybe she can give me a hand..

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered a voltage AC to DC converter off Amazon..This should work as well?...Was studiously going through the Electric Brewing website and am slowly getting a grasp on how this thing needs to be wired up..So, hopefully I can tackle it this weekend..Daughter's friend(who works in the electrical field) will be by then and maybe she can give me a hand..

The pump is rated. 1A. Power supply is too. Should work. Good luck putting it together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once read that a journey consists of thousands of steps..Well, one little tiny step closer..I just got my kettle in today! Was originally going to use my 'Tall Boy 8G' but after seeing Concord Cookware's kettles in another forum thread I bit the bullet and ordered a 20G kettle...This thing is huge compared to my other kettles(maybe should do a lineup picture)...

Now, to get a center punch, and the nerve to start drilling holes in a brand new kettle!..LOL

20160621_151621.jpg

I think you will have a hard time boiling with a 20 gallon kettle and a 2000 watt element. you will probably be around the 5-6 gallon mark just to get the element covered. Your kettle is great for a 10-12 gallon batch, but I don't think your element will be up to the task.

Got it...Now I know what to utilize the 2nd switch and indicator light on the bottom row of my panel for, a 2nd 2000 watt element..I guess I was thinking ahead when I ordered 2 of them a while back...

Now, I just need to tackle the wiring of it, and quite frankly it scares me..I have absolutely NO experience with this sort of thing..Guess I need a 'wiring schematic for dummies' setup or something of the like..Most I have done electrically is wire in replacement light switches and outlets, so this is a little out of my comfort zone..

Got it...Now I know what to utilize the 2nd switch and indicator light on the bottom row of my panel for, a 2nd 2000 watt element..I guess I was thinking ahead when I ordered 2 of them a while back...

Now, I just need to tackle the wiring of it, and quite frankly it scares me..I have absolutely NO experience with this sort of thing..Guess I need a 'wiring schematic for dummies' setup or something of the like..Most I have done electrically is wire in replacement light switches and outlets, so this is a little out of my comfort zone..
This is not the kind of project to learn wiring on. Find someone local who can help you out, hands on. Bad crimping technique, sloppy wire stripping, improper torque on connections, etc. are all things that can lead to early failures. And mis-wiring can lead to sparks and smoke.

Brew on :mug:

Back