Simple bottle Carbing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCBrew

Reaction score
I recently did a 5 gallon Stone Ruination Clone and bottle carbed using 4.5 oz of AHS bought priming sugar dissolved in 1.75 cups water(all boiled). I poured the sugar in the bottom of an Ale Pail and then siphoned on top trying not to disturb.

3 weeks later I feel like the beer is slightly undercarbed. The temp the bottles are stored at is about 65-68'C. Is there a chance that the sugar didn't distribute evenly through the batch? Or is it most likely an issue of RDWHAHB?

You're probably right. At 4.5oz, I would expect them to be carbed, but Ruination is a big beer, so they could just need a bit more time.

Whenever I bottle, I use a sanitized spoon to slowly stir the beer so I know that all the sugar is mixed in well. Even then, I get unevenly carbed bottles now and then. As long as it tastes good though...I don't care.

Back