Simple Ball Valve Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twgardner2

Reaction score
Should I boil any of the parts of my ball valve upstream of the ball or just the downstream portions?

Prior to your boil you should just keep all parts that touch your grains/wort clean. They don't need to be sanitized. Anything that touches the wort post boil MUST be clean and sanitized. The ball valve on your boil kettle will be sanitized via the heat generated during the 60-90 min boil. I still spray and wipe the barbed fitting with StarSan prior to connecting a piece of (cleaned and sanitized) tubing to the valve when racking to my (cleaned and sanitized) carboy. Cheers, JB.

Johnny, just out of curiosity, do you wipe down with a cloth that has Star-San on it?
Ideally, anything sprayed with Star-San should be left that way to avoid contamination.

Johnny, just out of curiosity, do you wipe down with a cloth that has Star-San on it?
Ideally, anything sprayed with Star-San should be left that way to avoid contamination.

Spray and go! If I don't have a spray bottle I just wipe it with a paper towel that's wet with SS. With SS, it's all about contact time.

Back