Simcoe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdeezy

Reaction score
From what I've seen everyone is out until late November?

Should I preorder or does anyone know where I can get my hands on some?

I got a lb of Simcoe whole hops from freshops.com, as well as a half lb of Amarillo :) They were like $1.60/oz, but the only other site I saw them on wanted like $4/oz for pellet.

Nice, their prices are a little higher on the other hops i was going to buy, but I will have to buy from their to avoid paying shipping twice.

Thanks for the help!

Wow I just called my LHBS and they have 64oz of simcoe available! Glad I called one more time before I ordered.

Well thanks for the help anyways guys.

By the way Northern brewer was cheaper than freshops.com by 3 or 4 dollars on my order of amarillo, centennial, and simcoe.

Is there a commercial beer that best shows what simcoe is all about? I was trying to get it to follow a recipe, but I don't really know it too well.

I've only used cascade, centennial, and columbus so far.

Sam Adams does a deconstucted 12 pack of one of their beers. It has a few Simcoe only bottles in it. I'm sorry I don't recall the name of the beern

good luck that was summer release if im not mistaken, try weyerbacher double simcoe ipa

The recipe I'm trying is a cascade/amarillo/simcoe combo that I'm pretty pumped about.

The recipe I'm trying is a cascade/amarillo/simcoe combo that I'm pretty pumped about.

Nice combination. You won't be disappointed.

I make an IPA with those hops. It disappears faster than anything else. I've had people say they don't like IPA's. Once they try it, they're converted.

Lately I've been using Centennial in place of the Cascade. I use Amarillo and Simco as late addition hops. I dry with with Amarillo and Cascade/Centennial.

Yeah, the Deconstructed is long gone. I liked it so much, for taste and education, I scoured the town after it was gone - found a couple of more dusty 12 packs on the floor at my local beerstore, and that was weeks ago.
I liked the grapefruity taste of the Simcoe-only version (I've seen the term 'piney'; I think grapefruit is more apt) so much that I ordered a # as soon as the harvest came in. I'm brewing a tangy dark ale with it tomorrow: pils malt/caramel/amber malt/chocolate malt, maybe a # or 2 of Munich(need to use it), bittered with Simcoe, then flavor and aroma with Simcoe and Tettnang.
I'm hoping for something between GreenFlash Hop-Head Red and Stone Arrogant Bastard.

I also recommend Freshops.com. But have a vacuum packer ready. My entire gang box reeked of hops! Buy in bulk as well. Myself and many commercial brewers have found Simcoe vital so it's good to have it on hand if they run out again.

I also recommend Freshops.com. But have a vacuum packer ready. My entire gang box reeked of hops! Buy in bulk as well. Myself and many commercial brewers have found Simcoe vital so it's good to have it on hand if they run out again.

I just got my two pounds from Freshops yesterday. They are in great shape- but NOT vacuum sealed. I was pretty disappointed, as the chinook hops ARE vacuum packed. I tossed them in the freezer, but I'll have to vacuum seal them this weekend when I have a chance.

Simcoe is my absolute favorite American hop. When will these suckers lose their patent so this can be grown en masse?

Simcoe is my absolute favorite American hop. When will these suckers lose their patent so this can be grown en masse?

I know, right?

I've got a Chinook, Amarillo, Simcoe IPA that I am totally lovin'. :rockin:

At least we all know they're fresh since nobody can seem to hold on to them for very long. I'm going to buy a # or 2 from my LHBS this weekend.

Speaking of vacuum sealing has anyone ever resealed the bag their hops came in? I usually just transfer them all to a bag that came with my vacuum sealer, but I am running low...I don't see how it could hurt anything.

Speaking of vacuum sealing has anyone ever resealed the bag their hops came in? I usually just transfer them all to a bag that came with my vacuum sealer, but I am running low...I don't see how it could hurt anything.

I don't think most vacuum sealers work on just any bag. There is one sealer that has a snorkle that goes into the bag. Haven't tried one of those. I tried a swizzle stick in my Food Saver. Same principle. It sort of worked but it wasn't worth the hassle. Not all bags can be resealed with heat.

I vacuum seal as a last resort. I wish all my hops came in mylar bags. All the hops I get from HD come in mylar. I just cut those open, take out hops, and then use a hair straightener to seal them back up. I squeeze the air out. Pellets or leaf, it doesn't matter.

I was purging the bags with N2 before resealing them. For hops that I want to last a long time (i.e. over a year) I still purge. Most of the time I just force the air out and seal the bag. When I first bought hops in bulk I was worried about them going bad. Properly stored they seem to last quite a while. The only hops I've had go bad, in fact, were some Cascades that fell behind something and sat warm and exposed to air for months. They were a little cheesy.

I don't think most vacuum sealers work on just any bag. There is one sealer that has a snorkle that goes into the bag. Haven't tried one of those. I tried a swizzle stick in my Food Saver. Same principle. It sort of worked but it wasn't worth the hassle. Not all bags can be resealed with heat.

Good point. I'll have to buy some more bags. Thanks

I got a lb of Simcoe whole hops from freshops.com, as well as a half lb of Amarillo :) They were like $1.60/oz, but the only other site I saw them on wanted like $4/oz for pellet.

At $25.00 (actually $25.60) for a pound of leaf Simcoe I think that I will pass. As much as I love using Simcoe I can't justify spending that much on it. Paying $4 per ounce for pellet is incomprehensible.

$14.35 per pound for pellets, $13.71 per pound for leaf. Keep checking back as they get more in regularly.

That is a very fair price. While I am all for free enterprise and making a buck, why is it that this vendor charges roughly 1/2 of what the other is asking for Simcoe when they can get ahold of it?

I think its's availability. Labelpeelers is right next to LD Carlson.

I guess that it comes down to how much one is willing to pay and how much vendors are comfortable charging their customers. The fact that one vendor charges twice what another vendor charges for the exact same product during a shortage is problematic. Obviously there is a shortage of Simcoe at this point in time. However, I have no doubt that most of the vendors that I purchase hops from could obtain Simcoe for an exorbitant price and could charge their customers buco $$$ for it if they chose to do so. Rather than gouge their customers, they are simply are waiting until the supply returns at fair prices. These are the vendors that I will continue to do business with along with those that provide a fair price. We went through this a few years ago during "the great hop shortage" which was followed by depressed prices for hops shortly after. Some people never learn...

I guess that it comes down to how much one is willing to pay and how much vendors are comfortable charging their customers. The fact that one vendor charges twice what another vendor charges for the exact same product during a shortage is problematic. Obviously there is a shortage of Simcoe at this point in time. However, I have no doubt that most of the vendors that I purchase hops from could obtain Simcoe for an exorbitant price and could charge their customers buco $$$ for it if they chose to do so. Rather than gouge their customers, they are simply are waiting until the supply returns at fair prices. These are the vendors that I will continue to do business with along with those that provide a fair price. We went through this a few years ago during "the great hop shortage" which was followed by depressed prices for hops shortly after. Some people never learn...

Simcoe hops are already contracted out through 2012. Prices aren't going down anytime soon. I heard of a brewery that is inline to get a contract for the 2013 hop harvest.

Simcoe hops are already contracted out through 2012. Prices aren't going down anytime soon. I heard of a brewery that is inline to get a contract for the 2013 hop harvest.

Well that is great for the company that holds the patent on Simcoe but bad news for home brewers and the customers of breweries that will pass on the higher prices to their customers. Simcoe will come off patent in a few years and will then be readily available but by that time there will be another "must have" hop that will have been bred and patented and this scenario will likely play out once again.

Back