Simcoe Rye Red IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrispy92

Reaction score
Hey all, need help from those who know more about using rye and simcoe. I plan to make my first ever rye IPA and wanted To use simcoe as a single hop as I've never used this either.

Am thinking of hitting around 15% rye, pale base malt around 6% dark crystal and a dash of Carafa 1 or roasted barley to get the colour.

I really want to get a feel for the flavours imparted by the rye malt and the simcoe, but will these pair together well? I have some centennial I could pair to give some floral/ fruity hop presence to balance what I've read simcoe gives off which is pretty piney?

Could I get away with all simcoe?
Just want to make sure im in the ballpark to brew something tastey and learn from it!

Experiences with either rye and simcoe much appreciated!

I find single hopping beers to be interesting but almost always enjoy multi-hopped beers more, fwiw. But your grain bill sounds good, so it depends on how much you want to focus on the Simcoe. Either way, it should be good.

In my opinion, simcoe and centennial pair very well with the soft spicy character of the rye. Simcoe is a great hop and can for sure stand on it's own in a single hop beer, but I agree with Pappers that I almost always enjoy a beer with multiple hops. When using rye, I would also throw some rice hulls in your mash to prevent any chance of a stuck sparge. Rye is STICKY stuff!

thanks for the replies.

I BIAB so won't worry about the stuck mash phew!

Glad to hear simcoe will work nicely, perhaps I will go with some centennial at lower amounts at the same time intervals to achieve a bit of complexity.... I think I agree with you guys that multiple hop beers are better. So I'm sure I will be able to get a good idea of what simcoe brings to this brew as I'm pretty confident in identifying what centennial will do.

Will probably stick with a decent bittering charge and the rest will be hop burst in the last 15 mins and flameout.

Can't wait to make this now!

Sounds like a good plan. I actually just tapped a session red rye ipa a couple weeks ago that turned out really nice, I had some centennial and simcoe in there along with a third hop that I can't remember right now.

Sounds like a good plan. I actually just tapped a session red rye ipa a couple weeks ago that turned out really nice, I had some centennial and simcoe in there along with a third hop that I can't remember right now.

Any chance you could dig up the recipe to share? Would be keen to see as well as confirm in my head that I have some idea what I'm doing with this beer?!

Any chance you could dig up the recipe to share? Would be keen to see as well as confirm in my head that I have some idea what I'm doing with this beer?!

No problem. Here it is! Not as much Simcoe as I thought in this but I've considered upping the simcoe next time I brew it.

Batch Size: 5.5 gal batch
70% efficiency
Water: 50/50 Filtered Tap/Distilled with 1.9ppg Gypsum
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.012
ABV: 4.7%

1lb Rice Hulls
7lb 2-Row
1lb 14oz Rye, Flaked
12oz Crystal 120
8 oz Melanoiden Malt
4 oz Crystal 40
2 oz Carafa III

Mash @ 150

60 min 0.75 oz Centennial
30 min 0.50 oz Centennial
10 min 0.50 oz Centennial
10 min 0.50 oz Citra
5 min 0.50 oz Citra
5 min 0.50 oz Simcoe
5 min 0.25 oz Centennial
Whirlpool 1.00 oz Citra
Whirlpool 0.50 oz Simcoe
Dry Hop 5 days 1.0 oz Citra
Dry Hop 5 days 1.0 oz Simcoe

Ferment with California Ale WLP001 @ 66°F for 10 days

I just made the Simcoe Imperial IPA from Daniel Ironside's book (highly recommended BTW especially for a beginner such as myself) and the results were outstanding. 6 Hop additions, 4 during the boil, one at the end and then a dry hop at 5 days. All Simco.

Wonderful balance with the slightly sweet malts. Next batch I'm going to try mixing the remaining Simcoe I have on hand and my homegrown Cascade and Centennial that I harvested last fall. We'll see if it holds up to the Simcoe single hop brew.

That recipe looks nice Bryce! I might do something similar after I get a feel for whether or not I like rye.

I'm actually just in the process of cooking this bad boy up. I'm going with the following for a 14L batch:

Pale 2 row 48.5%
Maris Otter 27.1%
Rye Malt 16.5%
Dark Crystal 6.1%
Carafa 1 1.8%

15g Centennial FWH
8g Centennial @ 30 min
15g Simcoe @ 20min
10g Centennial @ 15min
10g Simcoe @ 10min
10g Centennial @ 5min
10g Simcoe @ 5min
20g Simcoe @ Flameout

Estimated OG 1.064
Estimated IBU 65
Estimated SRM 17.5

That recipe looks nice Bryce! I might do something similar after I get a feel for whether or not I like rye.

I'm actually just in the process of cooking this bad boy up. I'm going with the following for a 14L batch:

Pale 2 row 48.5%
Maris Otter 27.1%
Rye Malt 16.5%
Dark Crystal 6.1%
Carafa 1 1.8%

15g Centennial FWH
8g Centennial @ 30 min
15g Simcoe @ 20min
10g Centennial @ 15min
10g Simcoe @ 10min
10g Centennial @ 5min
10g Simcoe @ 5min
20g Simcoe @ Flameout

Estimated OG 1.064
Estimated IBU 65
Estimated SRM 17.5

It's looking good so far, let us know how it turns out when you get around to brewing it! You planning to dry hop it though?

Planning a dry hop for sure! Probably 15g simcoe and 10 centennial. Brewed it the other day and the smell is amazing coming out of the fermenter!

Apologies for the sideways phone photo, just and update...: this beer is absolutely amazing!! Super smooth mouthfeel with a nice sweet malt profile, big hop (very thankful you all suggested using more than just simcoe) complexity of flavour is unreal! Will be brewing this again asap....:

image.jpg

Nice looking beer! I brewed a Red Rye IPA yesterday using only Centennial hops. I stepped up my "rye game" a bit and used a mix of rye malt, rye crystal malt and some chocolate rye malt. The combo of those three difference types of rye malt helped get the color I was looking for without having to add a bunch of crystal or other non-rye specialty malts. I also used nearly 20% rye. It had a great color and I can't wait to try it.

What's your ABV on that above?

Hit 6.8%, estimated 70ibu however the bitterness is super smooth.... Think the rye has given it a really nice silky mouthfeel. Definitely let me know how the different rye malts go!

Back