Silly noob question about Wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinkle

Reaction score
Just seeking a little reassurance that my beer is going to be fine. Brewed up the Crisp Rye Pale Ale from AHS last night. I smacked the Wyeast pack and let it sit out while I went to work. I forgot to shake it when I pitched it 10-11 hours later and it was kind of clumpy at the bottom of the bag when I opened it. I went ahead and tossed it in the bucked and then gave the bucket a good shake for a minute or two. Anything to worry about or do I need to RDWHAHB?

RDWHAHB. Many strains of liquid yeast are highly flocculant. I've had some that spent 36-48 hours spinning on a stirplate and they are still clumped up. But they always do their job and ferment the beer.

Yes you might have a problem. The best solution is to send me the fermenting bucket and ill make sure it is ok lol

No you are fine. In 3 days if your reading hasn't changed from OG then come back and ask what is wrong

h22lude said:
Yes you might have a problem. The best solution is to send me the fermenting bucket and ill make sure it is ok lol

No you are fine. In 3 days if your reading hasn't changed from OG then come back and ask what is wrong

PM me your shipping info! HAHA!

I just brewed it last night so I'm not too worried yet... just needed a little reassurance that it was going to be fine! :) Going to make a Landlord clone tonight and won't forget to shake the smack pack!

Usually you shake it up just to get all of the yeast to flow out of the pack... As long as you got most of it out, you should be fine...

Which strain did you use in the brew? I really like the Wyeast strains for my beers...

In a Wyeast smack pack the yeast is in the larger foil pouch. The inner pouch is full of yeast nutrient. Shaking mixes the two, nothing more. You're fine.

Usually you shake it up just to get all of the yeast to flow out of the pack... As long as you got most of it out, you should be fine...

Which strain did you use in the brew? I really like the Wyeast strains for my beers...
It was kind of lumpy and white with a beery coloured liquid at the bottom. I got all of both out and then gave it a good shaking once in the bucket. I'm using 1968 - London ESB Ale for this batch. Hope she turns out delicious!

Is it better to shake then put yeast in or put yeast in then shake? I have always aerate before the yeast and it has worked....just curious what most people do.

I usually aerate the wort before pitching yeast in. If it's a smack pack of yeast, that means, smacking it, shaking it up (to mix the nutrients) then letting it swell (occasionally gently shaking to keep it mixed up)... Before pitching it in, I give it one last brief shake up before sanitizing the pack and opening it up... Pour in the yeast and let it rock and roll. If I remember, I gently rock/swirl the wort ~10 minutes later to make sure it's mixing in well. If I don't remember, it still gets going...

If I'm using harvested yeast (typically with a starter) or yeast in a starter, I just pour off what I can above the yeast slurry, leaving some on top to help make it more fluid. Pour that in and let it go to town...

I usually see activity within 12 hours of pitching yeast into my wort...

Well the brew I started last night is bubbling away like mad and the the one in question isn't. Pulled the stopper and airlock and it looks like a decent krausen. I think the damn lid doesn't fit properly... maybe it's getting out that way?

Back