Silly little question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5WTFLYBUM

Reaction score
Okay I know this sounds a little odd or silly. How should nutrient be added?

Just dump it in from a measuring spoon dry or dissolve in juice? If dry let it sit on top or stir gently just to disperse and wet?

What is quote, un-quote right?

Depends on the method you're using. If you're just adding 1 full dose at the beginning of primary, just measure & stir it into the must. But if you're doing staggered nutrient additions (SNA) you'll want to stir those nutrients into some boiled & cooled water before adding them to the must.

Adding dry powders to an active fermentation provides nucleation points & can cause the dissolved CO2 to suddenly & oftentimes violently, come out of suspension; resulting in your must suddenly foaming, or even erupting & making quite a mess & loss of product.
Regards, GF.

Okay so boiling the water is that for sterilization or to help dissolve the nutrient?

You can just stir it in some tap water to dissolve and slowly pour it into an active fermentation, SLOWLY, it can still cause an eruption, as was mentioned before if in the start just sprinkle it on and stir it in. WVMJ

I just throw mine in dry in the primary... Seems to mostly dissolve over a few days.

I just throw mine in dry in the primary... Seems to mostly dissolve over a few days.

I did that for the initial at the very start. When I added the second round into a 5 gallon batch I got 3 of 5 grams added before she blew like Kilauea! So for the third I wanted to avoid that particular experience, thanks.;)

I did that for the initial at the very start. When I added the second round into a 5 gallon batch I got 3 of 5 grams added before she blew like Kilauea! So for the third I wanted to avoid that particular experience, thanks.;)

Well, now you can knowledgeably talk about "nucleation points"!

Remember the old Mentos experiment? Put a mint into coke and watch it get explosive? That's dissolved co2 in action. It happens in your carboy too when you add a solid, or lots of tiny little solids like powders.

You'd think that doing it once, or twice, or three times would teach you. But oh, no. Some of us are a bit dim, and have done it many times by thinking, "Oh, I'm busy and I will just gently put in the nutrient. It'll be ok". Then I watch it volcano up and stand there helplessly swearing. I thing clean my cabinets and floor. I mean, not "I" in the sense it was me, of course. I mean someone else is that dumb. :drunk:

You know the Mentos thing is a perfect explanation mental picture, especially for the YouTube devotees.
I can never remember the tech terms. The other hams in the club give me grief over it all the time. Doohickies and hitch-a-gidgets don't seem to do well in electronics.

Latest posts

Back