Silicone tubing supply?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robohop

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking to get some silicone tubing (1/2"ID x 3/4"OD) for transferring boiling wort. It looks like morebeer normally carries it but is out of stock now and they aren't sure when they will be getting it back in stock. I know McMaster has some, but I heard it's pretty thin walled and likes to kink up. Any ideas where to find some "reasonably priced" silicon tubing?

I was hoping to run my first all grain batch this weekend but it's not looking so good now. Help!

-Rob

I found just about all the larger HB supplies have silicone or thermoplastic tubing available at varied cost. Also, mebe even try a local specialty hose supply and see if they can order some.

Hi all, I'm looking to get some silicone tubing (1/2"ID x 3/4"OD) for transferring boiling wort. It looks like morebeer normally carries it but is out of stock now and they aren't sure when they will be getting it back in stock. I know McMaster has some, but I heard it's pretty thin walled and likes to kink up. Any ideas where to find some "reasonably priced" silicon tubing?

I was hoping to run my first all grain batch this weekend but it's not looking so good now. Help!

-Rob

Phuck morebeer. I waited 7 weeks before they filled my order.
Morebeer sucks.

IIRC, AHS has it for the same cost.

Lowes/Home depot carry a variety of tubing. Not sure if they have silicone tubing, but it might be worth a quick look if you have one of those stores nearby.

+1 Austin Home Brew, and I like their plastic quick clamps for the silicone tube too, unless you're into those quick connect contraptions.
You will find no love at the hardware store.

I thought small diameter silicon tubing is what was used in peristaltic pumps? They always seem to use a opaque off-white tuning.

+2 on Austin Homebrew.

I found it in Tucson for $2 per foot at an industrial hose supplier. If you're in a good sized city you should be able to find it locally if you're willing to do some calling around. I had to call 10 companies before I finally found it here and what's especially funny is that it was a hydraulic hose supply house (Hose Power) that pointed me towards the company that had the stuff.

Just start calling hose related businesses and if they don't have it, make sure to get the number of at least one other business to try. Eventually you'll cover enough ground to find the stuff, it just takes time.

Good luck!
Zack

What's the ID / OD of the tubing? I need it for a peristaltic, your site gives a measurement but I am not sure what that measurement is.

1/2"ID and 3/4" OD, the thick walled stuff

I've done a considerable amount of research on this, and my conclusion is that the PLATINUM cured tubing is the best. The platinum is expensive, but I found medical grade for about $2.50/ft. (You won't find it cheaper)

The only down side is you have to buy a 50' roll. If you don't need 50' you can always split the cost with a friend(s).

https://www.gvc.net/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=3472&cat=Medical+Grade+Platinum+Cured+Silicone+Tubing

As a side note: If you're buying silicone washers, it is better to go with the Peroxide cured. They say it handles compression better than the Platinum.

I've done a considerable amount of research on this, and my conclusion is that the PLATINUM cured tubing is the best. The platinum is expensive, but I found medical grade for about $2.50/ft. (You won't find it cheaper)

The only down side is you have to buy a 50' roll. If you don't need 50' you can always split the cost with a friend(s).

https://www.gvc.net/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=3472&cat=Medical+Grade+Platinum+Cured+Silicone+Tubing

As a side note: If you're buying silicone washers, it is better to go with the Peroxide cured. They say it handles compression better than the Platinum.

Why is platinum cured stuff better?

Addition or platinum cured silicone rubber offers an increasingly popular alternative to conventional peroxide cure silicone products – especially for healthcare applications which require the utmost purity and cleanliness of materials.

I never knew that silicone tubing had a shelf life. In the ebay auction above, they have a picture of the packaging label that states "Shelf Life: 5 years from date of Mfg." So we should be replacing our silicone hoses every 5 years?

Does anyone know if the thermoplastic hose has the same shelf life?

I have mostly thermoplastic, but some silicone in my system. I like that the thermoplastic doesn't kink at all.

I kinda figured, but the good thing is you provided us a great deal on some silicone tubing. That's a hot deal. $110 worth of tubing for $26. I'll take it.

Quick question, I am assuming that this stuff is food-grade tubing, but it doesn't state anywhere. Is there no such thing as platinum cured non-food service tubing?

If it is, I am going to buy a roll at that price!

I jut ordered some tubing about 45 minutes ago from Austin Homebrew and needed it asap so next day shipping. otherwise I'd give that ebay stuff a shot.

-=Jason=-

I got 5 feet from amazon for about $10. If you have amazon prime, it's free ship.

And that's 4x as much as the stuff from ebay...

Also, could you link the amazon tubing you bought. A friend of mine bought some from amazon and it was the thin wall stuff. He can't use it with his pump on the input side as it collapses it.

Looks like they have increased shipping to $18. I asked about combined shipping... they said, same total per roll. Seems kinda high for shipping, but still a heck of a deal.

Back