Silicone Stretch Lids for carboy jar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mishaos

Reaction score
Hi,
Will Silicone Stretch lids fit for fermentation vessel (See attached link below)?
I have a 8 liter carboy jar that i want to use for 5L batches. The lid diameter that will fit for this jar is ~120mm (4.8'').
I need to find a lid for this jar that will be sealed and that i will be able to drill an airlock hole on it.
Did someone have experience with this lids or have other advices?
Cheers!

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Str...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I've not used them for brewing, just for food storage. They're just OK.... If the size of your jar and the size of your lid are *just* right, then they work out pretty good...

Useless if the lid is too big, of course...

And if the lid needs significant stretch to fit, then *any* moisture makes it slip right off. Very annoying... A lid that seems to fit well when you first put it on, won't stay in place due to condensation after taking it out the fridge.

My guess would be that a lid that is tight enough to satisfy you, would be a pain to keep in place after spraying with sanitizer.

I've not used them for brewing, just for food storage. They're just OK.... If the size of your jar and the size of your lid are *just* right, then they work out pretty good...

Useless if the lid is too big, of course...

And if the lid needs significant stretch to fit, then *any* moisture makes it slip right off. Very annoying... A lid that seems to fit well when you first put it on, won't stay in place due to condensation after taking it out the fridge.

My guess would be that a lid that is tight enough to satisfy you, would be a pain to keep in place after spraying with sanitizer.

Thanks for the answer.
And what do you think about using a cone silicon plug like the attached product?
I found one that can match (100mm bottom diameter and 140mm upper diameter).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

FYI Silicone is extremely oxygen permeable
Capture.PNG

That chart implies that while silicone might be fine for an airlock during active fermentation or for short term temporary storage, it wouldn't make a good bung for long term storage or aging...

I hadn't realized the permeability was so great! I, too, saw all the silicone bungs available for purchase and assumed it must be OK for use...

I try to avoid silicone in all cold side processes. I don't know why bungs, gaskets ext are so often made of this material, and thus very popular. Many of the airlocks sold to homebrewers are very oxygen permeable, even during active fermentation. Take a look at this paper. I've switched to using EVA barrier line in my blow offs.

Capture.PNG

Huh... I had no idea. Presumably the S-type air locks aren't as bad, since there's no cap to bounce up...

GAH!! just skimmed the paper.... S-type is worse... and those orange carboy caps :no:

Back