Silent kegerator build (peltier cells?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eladaos

Reaction score
Hi,

I live in an apartment and I am tired of going three floors up/down to a garage for a beer. So I want to build kegerator whcih will be placed in the living room.

The main problem is that it has to be very silent as we don't want to hear any "fridge" noise when watching TV or just sitting there.

I tried to buy small fridge but returned it the next day because the noise was very loud and disturbing. So I was looking for an alternative and one friend of mine got an idea about isolated box with the cover from 12V cooler box. Then I realised how it works and ended up with peltier cells setup. But I also read many disadvantages about them, so I would like to share this idea with you and if someone is running this setup I would appreciate any information.

Here si the plan:
1. buy some cheap old furniture and make small renovation (paint)
2. inner space about 0,5 m3 (1mx1mx0,5m)
3. 5cm polystyrene isolation inside
4. peltier unit with heatsink and big silent pc fan (like Noctua NF series)
5. two corny kegs inside
6. inside temperture about 6 C, ambient mostly 22 C, sometimes in the summer 30, in extreme hot situations 35-40 C (rare, abotu a few days in a year)
6. cooper tap stand on the top

My questions and concers:

1. Needed peltier unit - how strong peltier unit I need and it is better to have one strong unit or more weaker units?

2. Power consumption - I think I will need high power so I am thinking how often they will be in work (after the inner temp will be reached) and what year consumption I can except?

3. Temperature control - is it better to adjust the voltage of peltier cells or use power supply on/off switcher?

4. Noise - with this setup, I will not hear any compressor and liquid noise, but there will be a lot of fans ... so what noise I can expect? like normal PC? or more? I built my last PC as "Low Noise" by using more expensive case, fans and coolers so it can be pretty quiet, but I am not sure if I can reach the same level with kegerator

Thank you for any help, advices and ideas. I will also post here the progress with photos if I will decide to build it.

Or you could just buy a peltier mini fridge and convert it. This is my old fridge. It could only get down to about 5-7 degrees celsius during summer months though. Thats the only limitation…ambient temps.

I've replaced it with a traditional unit and use it as a fermentation chamber now. Its perfect for that. It is very quiet. PC fan quiet.

Thanks for the idea, but mini fridges which are sold in my country are too small. But nice build you have!

Back