Significance, S-bubble or 3 Piece Airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erk611

Reaction score
I have Food grade buckets from work. i need airlocks, whats the significance between the 3-piece and S-bubble Airlocks? what would make one better than the other? Since i'll probably only be doing one 3 gallon batch at a time right now i'll end up picking up one of each.

Some intel on them would be nice though.

It doesn't really matter. However, if you get a crazy fermentation that spews out through the air lock, the three piece is much easier to clean :)

You can install a blowoff directly on the 3 piece. It's all I use personally.
If your 3 piece has the little strainer things on the bottom, break them off. They are useless and counterproductive if you ever *need* the blowoff.
By brew buddy only uses stype, because he likes the way they sound....

the three piece is much easier to clean :)

And the "s" shape allows no suckback, is easier to verify it's properly full, and lasts longer, should you want to bulk age/rest anything.

The differences are not that great. Get whatever works for you. Batch size shouldn't make any difference.

And the "s" shape allows no suckback, is easier to verify it's properly full, and lasts longer, should you want to bulk age/rest anything.

The differences are not that great. Get whatever works for you. Batch size shouldn't make any difference.

For approximately these reasons, I use the 3 piece for primary (though honestly, now I use a blowoff tube directly into the grommeted hole for primary) and S-shaped airlock for secondary.

This is the reason I swore off the "S-type". I lost an IPA when it clogged and sheared a carboy:
thumb2_photo0237-63495.jpg

thumb2_photo0238-63496.jpg

S-form for secondary/aging and 3 piece for primary is how I go about it, for the reasons listed above (S lasts longer but clogs stupid easy).

I've managed to lose the middle piece on more than one 3-piece airlock washing/sanitizing stuff and dumping it into the yard never to be seen again. But the cleaning in-case of krausen in the 'lock is a serious hindrance.

Sorry for a late response, i have a semi busy gaming life so i forget about things. Been listening to The Beer Network podcast when i'm at work.

Thanks for the feedback. essentially i could just get 3-piece airlocks and not even touch S-bubble. even on a secondary Ferment or aging the 3-piece would do the same job. i'll most likely buy then in pairs. a 3-piece and a S-bubble.

Buy a few 3 pieces, cause some part will disappear. Usually dueing/after cleanup

I started with both and never touched the S type until I started brewing beers that require longer aging (RIS, Brett beers, ect.). Like others have mentioned 3 pieces are easier to clean and you can attach a blowoff if needed, while the S type requires less liquid to remain effective and doesn't dry out as quickly (at least in my experience).

If you plan to cold crash your beer you need an S-type air lock to prevent it from sucking the liquid back into your fermenter.

I have Food grade buckets from work. i need airlocks, whats the significance between the 3-piece and S-bubble Airlocks? what would make one better than the other? Since i'll probably only be doing one 3 gallon batch at a time right now i'll end up picking up one of each.

Some intel on them would be nice though.

Please define "need". You could do an open ferment and not use an airlock. You could do as I have and simply take a piece of plastic over the hole so it lets gas out but not bugs in. Any airlock can work. If you read enough on here you will see the term "blowoff tube" which is still another form of airlock.

Thanks for the reminder, I just caught some krausen in my S airlock from Thursdays brew. Replaced it with sanitised tin foil.
End result: The government now has no idea what my yeasties are thinking.

Latest posts

Back