Sightglass / Thermometer combo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarsnik

Reaction score
A quick question about the sightglass/thermometer combo that bobby_m sells. I would like to get a few of them for new keggles I'm building.

When reading these forums, I saw a few people mention that placing a thermometer too close to the bottom of the kettle and thus the burner may be damaging to it. Since the thermometer sightglass combo is installed just below the skirt of the keg, is this something that I should be worried about?

Either way I'm going to be getting sightglasses from bobby, but I would like to get the combo since it's the most cost effective route.

I bought one from Bobby M and never had a problem with the thermometer. I mistakenly placed it about an 1/8" to close to the skirt weld. Even that low there is about 2-3 gallons of liquid below it and 3.5"-4" above the bottom of the keg "collar?". It's by no means getting a direct flame.

Make a "Heat Shield" from some flashing and install it when you install the sightglass. Bobby even has a template in PDF form that can be downloaded with a YouTube video that outlines how to make it.

Back