Sight glass on side of keggle necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sourmash

Reaction score
I'm starting my brutus build and was wondering if the sight glasses are more of a convenience thing or somewhat of a necessity?

I've got them on my HLT and MLT, but not on my BK. It's very nice to be able to easily and exactly measure out the strike and sparge volumes I need. I use beersmith to calculate the volumes and I'm usually within a qt post-boil from my target, so I don't really see a need on the BK. Others think they're necessary because they want to know very accurately what their pre- and post-boil volumes are for efficiency calculations.

Seeing that there are other "less convenient" ways to measure wort in the kettle, I would have to say it is a convenience thing. Many threads regarding calibrating a stick or brew spoon to measure wort. Marks can be placed on the kettle. Up to you I guess?

Sight glass on the kettle is probably nice to have, but I would guess most don't bother.

Before I comment, I should disclose potential bias because I've been selling sight glass kits. Honestly, I wouldn't want to brew without a sight glass in the HLT and kettle. It is a convenience thing but obviously if you're building a Brutus style system, you're all about convenience. Why would you go through that much money and effort and skip a $20 upgrade?

I would argue that if you're going to be moving volumes of liquid from one vessel to another (as you will with Brutus), how else will you know when you've moved enough? I guess I'm thinking more in terms of batch sparging. I need to know when I'm done pumping the sparge infusions and I know because I watch my HLT's sight gauge and use deduction in the level.

Back