Sight Glass Material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
I'm looking for some sight glass material and was hoping to pick up it locally. I have Grainger store right around the corner from the house and was hoping I could pick it up there.

Anyone have an idea if they carry what I would need? Sorry if this a duplicate thread.

May have answered my own question, but I am concerned with the wall thickness. What do you think???

Tubing-4VXU7_AS01.JPG

Tubing, Rigid, Inside Dia. 3/8 In, Outside Dia. 1/2 In, Wall Thickness 1/16 In, Tensile Strength 9200 psi, Max. Pressure 400 psi, Temp. Range -40 To 250 Deg F, Material of Construction Polycarbonate, Length 8 Ft., Hardness R11, Rockwell, Color Clear, Standards FDA Approved, CFR Title 21 Parts 170 to 199, NSF-51 and 61, PROP 65, USDA and 3A

Grainger Item # 4VXY2
Price (ea.) $8.73
Brand EXCELON
Mfr. Model # 5706G-FDA
Ship Qty. 1
Sell Qty. (Will-Call) 1
Ship Weight (lbs.) 2.54
Usually Ships** Today
Catalog Page No. 4078 catalog
Country of Origin
(Country of Origin is subject to change.) USA

My worry would be the 250deg heat limit depending on use, if it's for a mash tun or an E-kettle it should be fine, but if it's a direct fired kettle I'd be worried about the heat coming up the sides and melting it. I believe most use a borosilicate glass.
Rav

I just use a piece of silicone tubing on a 1/4 inch barb. its translucent and takes up to 500* heat. just find a way to attach it. make a note tho that i do this on a 10 gallon water cooler, so your application may not allow for this.

Two out of my three are the long part of racking canes that I broke trying to wrestle the tubing off for cleaning.

I have used those on A 250 HP boiler that ran at 120 PSI. The hardest part was the swedge style couplings, The glass needed to be just long enough to fit inbetween the swedges then centered to tighten. Cutting the glass to length isnt that hard with the cutter and some time. I work with A couple of guys from the old oly brewery and they said many of there tanks had glass site glasses, but I dont know there aplications.

I currently work in A USDA enviorment, and glass is A big NO NO. So lexan and whatever other proudcts available are used whenever possible.

I am planning on using these on all three kegs and will be using some extra copper tubing as protective tube. I had thought of using high temp plastic tubing but I would be prefer a rigid tube for this application.

Glass is nearly impossible to detect in A proudct. It fragments into peices, where as plastics and rubbers just tare. A friend of mine worked for pepsi, And after his time there he refused to drink sobe, I guess that under the filler it was A razor blade factory full of shards. I noticed the other day that the new sobe bottles are plastic now. PLEASE dont get me wrong, Im not saying that theres A problem with glass in proudcts, its just restricted to the fiewest areas possible to keep it from becoming A problem thats all:D

Latest posts

Back