sight glass for brew system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have any ingenious sight glasses out there? Id like to see the flow after my pump, maybe before my RIMs tube. Are there any good NPT sight glasses?

You mean something like this?

3744.jpg

No, i want NPT or something DIYy. I dont have clover/sanitary fittings and i dont wnat to change my system to support them.

I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page. I sure wouldn't want to spend 100 bucks on this either. I like the polycarb clamped to tubing idea a lot.

polycarbonate threads easily and is good up to 302 degrees fahrenheit and is very clear

Any NPT die will work, I am willing to bet Harbor Frieght has an inexpensive option.
I have done it myself with great success!

um what OD would you use. id like to thread in inside a 304 SS coupling any suggestions? I dont have any experience cutting threads. Would i just use 1/2" or would i want to do a 5/8" for a tighter it. Not sure how much the threads take down the od.

As for the size, I'm not sure. Once you get that figured out though I wouldn't run out and get a die to cut these threads. They're not cheap and if you don't already have a set of them you probably don't need one. Personally, I don't like buying tools that I'll use once. I can usually find what I need by asking around. If you can't find what you need, you might be able to just thread the tubing directly into the fitting without cutting threads. Polycarb is pretty hard though, this might not work out as well as you would want.

5/8 ID 3/4 OD the wall is thin but it works. The tapered threads make it work very well.
Just shmooze the home depot plumbin guy and use the die they have there.

dont use the machine just do it by hand with the die, doing your Best to keep it square.

5/8 ID 3/4 OD the wall is thin but it works. The tapered threads make it work very well.
Just shmooze the home depot plumbin guy and use the die they have there.

dont use the machine just do it by hand with the die, doing your Best to keep it square.

3/4 od is going to be way to big to fit in a 1/2 fitting.

Back