Sierra Nevada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydog2314

Reaction score
I just wanted to share a cool experience from SN. I ordered a bunch of their(and DFH's) IPA glasses for my home brew club earlier in the year. Well yesterday I got in the mail from them a winter hat with a card that read:

"As cooler weather settles in, we hope this gift will keep you warm. From all of us here at Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. Thank you for your patronage in 2013. Cheers. Sincerely, The Customer Experience Team."

REALLY COOL to be nice to the customer and send them a little something. I know the hat isn't the most expensive thing in the world but I was blown away by their thoughtfulness and gifting and wanted to share!

CHEERS!

20131025_002634.jpg

20131025_002647.jpg

Man. I'm still waiting for Anhueser-Busch to send me my beanie for all of my patronage. I probably shouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Jokes aside, that's how you know that a company cares about its customers, which reflects how they care about their product and the craft. Another 7 points for the little guys.

Don't know how little Sierra Nevada is. But it's really more impressive that a huge company like that is still thanking the small consumer.

That's awesome, love the hat. :rockin: SN is just a really solid company and advocate for the craft brew industry. Seem to be very supportive of the homebrew crowd as well. I made the Ruthless Rye clone from the issue of BYO where they were featured and it was right on the mark. I think they shared a lot of recipe info very openly with the author.

If you get the little things right, you probably get the big things right too.

+1 for SN. Class act.

It's not often that companies realize the impact of these types of activities..especially ones as large and with incredible growth like SN.

I guess I'll just add this to the list of reasons they are one of my favorite breweries.

Man, that is really awesome! It is amazing to see some companies that "get it".

It makes very solid business sense too :
1,000* knit caps @ $4 bucks a pop** = $4,000
1,000* cards @ $1 a piece = $1,000
1,000 items to ship @ 0.32 a piece*** = $880
-----------
Just under $6,000 for a 1,000 new die-hard loyal SN fans that will spend far, far more than $6,000 bucks on buying SN beer from now until the time they are dead...

Really awesome to see companies taking on this effort to do something nice for their customers.

*This a pulled-out-of-thin-air guess based on no proof or evidence
**(http://www.branders.com/subcat/prom...fdrid=927363&gclid=CJmds7mLsroCFepFMgodlAoAmw)
***Used USPS.com and their crazy-ass website. Assumed shipped in a flat in a 3-digit price category @ 12oz a piece for the entire package (complete guess).

Man, that is really awesome! It is amazing to see some companies that "get it".

It makes very solid business sense too :
1,000* knit caps @ $4 bucks a pop** = $4,000
1,000* cards @ $1 a piece = $1,000
1,000 items to ship @ 0.32 a piece*** = $880
-----------
Just under $6,000 for a 1,000 new die-hard loyal SN fans that will spend far, far more than $6,000 bucks on buying SN beer from now until the time they are dead...

Really awesome to see companies taking on this effort to do something nice for their customers.

*This a pulled-out-of-thin-air guess based on no proof or evidence
**(http://www.branders.com/subcat/prom...fdrid=927363&gclid=CJmds7mLsroCFepFMgodlAoAmw)
***Used USPS.com and their crazy-ass website. Assumed shipped in a flat in a 3-digit price category @ 12oz a piece for the entire package (complete guess).

I'm betting the costs for the beanie and the card are way lower when you're dealing with the volumes SN does. Even so, yeah it's an awesome gesture that wasn't free on their part and buys a hell of a lot of goodwill.

That's awesome. I'd definitely be more likely to order stuff from their online store after reading this. Not because I'm trying to get a hat of my own (although I wouldn't complain :)), but because it's nice to see companies that give a crap about their customers beyond their profit margin. I'll gladly support places like that.

Go one step farther, it should not be over looked that they have stepped up as sponsors of some home brew competitions even though they are trying to sell us beer. This is why I keep some SN pale ale around for those brief gaps between batches.

If someone from Sierra Nevada visits here I would love one of those hats to go with my SN neon light that graces my brewing area of the kitchen and thanks for supporting the home brew community!

They appreciate their customers.Thats good business. I entered the camping experience thing they had when they were releasing some canned beer,all you had to do was share a photo and an outdoor experinece that involved beer and a story and you got a free t shirt. In fact I happen to be wearing that shirt right now today.:) Although I dont buy their beer regularly-only because Im always trying beer I havent tried before- I know what to fallback on though and that is very solid beers that still stand up to time and trends. I just wish their beers were available instead of or in addtion to blue moon or sam adams and regular bmc beer- in resturarants like Applebees and other common places that sell beer to choose from.

jonmohno said:
They appreciate their customers.Thats good business. I entered the camping experience thing they had when they were releasing some canned beer,all you had to do was share a photo and an outdoor experinece that involved beer and a story and you got a free t shirt. In fact I happen to be wearing that shirt right now today.:) Although I dont buy their beer regularly-only because Im always trying beer I havent tried before- I know what to fallback on though and that is very solid beers that still stand up to time and trends. I just wish their beers were available instead of or in addtion to blue moon or sam adams and regular bmc beer- in resturarants like Applebees and other common places that sell beer to choose from.

Sierra Nevada is available in Applebee's here of course this is Asheville NC beer city USA 3 years in a row

Sierra Nevada is available in Applebee's here of course this is Asheville NC beer city USA 3 years in a row

Oh nice, IA might pick up on that in about 10 years. I think people may just be discovering who Sam Adams is around here most probably think he was just a president or something.;)

jonmohno said:
Oh nice, IA might pick up on that in about 10 years. I think people may just be discovering who Sam Adams is around here most probably think he was just a president or something.;)

I would start asking managers at restaurants why they are not carrying it and see. I know that the distributors here we're being strong armed to not distribute the craft beers that come from the breweries other than the big three by the big three and there was such a big demand here that they just couldn't ignore it. Our grocery store on this side of town has a mix and match section with over 20 beers to make a 6 pack out of for only $7.99 and New Belgian and Sierra Nevada are opening breweries here in Asheville

I would start asking managers at restaurants why they are not carrying it and see. I know that the distributors here we're being strong armed to not distribute the craft beers that come from the breweries other than the big three by the big three and there was such a big demand here that they just couldn't ignore it. Our grocery store on this side of town has a mix and match section with over 20 beers to make a 6 pack out of for only $7.99 and New Belgian and Sierra Nevada are opening breweries here in Asheville

Not a bad Idea. Places that want to succeed will listen to their customers. Altough Im not particularly a regular at a place like applebees. Im probably just not even a dime a dozen around here so they may not listen- but if you can imagine someone trying a SN pale ale for the first time? Well not so shure about that. I remember how bitter it seemed before I got into craft beer. I still think SA Boston lager is a pretty nice choice otherwise. I just went there today(my pregnant wife was craving boneless buffalo wings) and they have SA winter lager on tap.. passed it up because I like boston lager more than that beer,so I just opted for water with lemon wedge. Plus I can drink better beer at home for cheaper. :)

I have been a SN Pale ale drinker for years, and always in the bottle. A local restaurant has SN Pale Ale on tap. Holy Cow, What an amazing beer! The hop forward clean flavor of this beer is so much more than I every thought possible.

I've been a long-time Sierra Nevada fan. I first drank SNPA back in the early-mid nineties, and haven't looked back since. :) If I don't see a new beer that I want to try, I know I can count on SNPA. When it's fresh it's amazing. I love it when restaurants have it available.

I was in London a couple years ago. I noticed, strangely, that Budweiser was popular in the bars over there. A few pubs had SNPA on tap, though. At one of those pubs, I drank the freshest SNPA I've ever drank. It was crazy - just some pub in the middle of London, and I'm drinking the best SNPA I've ever had. I drank that all night, and was in heaven. I tried a couple Bitters, but that SNPA was just too fresh and perfect to pass up.

I've been a long-time Sierra Nevada fan. I first drank SNPA back in the early-mid nineties, and haven't looked back since. :) If I don't see a new beer that I want to try, I know I can count on SNPA. When it's fresh it's amazing. I love it when restaurants have it available.

I was in London a couple years ago. I noticed, strangely, that Budweiser was popular in the bars over there. A few pubs had SNPA on tap, though. At one of those pubs, I drank the freshest SNPA I've ever drank. It was crazy - just some pub in the middle of London, and I'm drinking the best SNPA I've ever had. I drank that all night, and was in heaven. I tried a couple Bitters, but that SNPA was just too fresh and perfect to pass up.

Sierra Nevada does it right. Unlike Full Sail, for example. When accountants rule the world, it sucks. Not to pick on Full Sail per se, but just an example of potential ruled by the stinking bottom line.

Well Sierra Nevada doesn't let stinking bean counters rule their process, their approach, and the success comes shining through.

Ken Grossman is a gentleman, a great brewer, and deserves making any $$ he gets.

I just had 3 SN beers tonight on probably due to reflection of this thread. Narwal for the first time,Celebration-because I have to have new current released seasonals and I just seen it just out-which I like this one more this year, and the porter which I havent had in a long while and am suspisious of not likeing it before and am wondering why I didnt like this one. Maybe its the stout I didnt like,not shure. Although Im not currently a hefewiezen fan, their hef was kind of a gateway beer for me in my early palate changing craft beer curious days. I also remember drinking SN Pale ale in the 90's thinking it was "kinda hard to drink-sessionably" and came of as harsh but I still liked it and didnt quite get that piney bittering it had yet. But I tried it before I even knew Sam Adams. Arrogant bastard and Dead guy were other goto craft beers I would frequent in the 90's-they were bold and I had to be in the mood to drink them. Faint memory of likeing the bastard more and definatly do so nowadays.Love the oaked bastard.

All this said, SN is definatly a craft beer pioneer that I have solid respect for. Still love their beers. Huge fan of their havest ales (particularly the southern (NZ)hemisphere ale)and estate ale. Enjoy the DFH collaborationns also.

It's hard to not like Sierra Nevada, great beer and they are one of the most environmentally conscious companies out there

A lot of respect for those guys and the way they run things. They sponsor a home brew comp in Reno every year and the winner get to go to Beer Camp. Not only was it sponsored, but one of the judges was from SN. Can't remember who it was now. That comp has sparked a couple of our local brewery startups. Pretty cool.

I like their iconic SNPA the best of all of their beers. It's like an old friend that I'm always happy to see, and when we hang out it's like no time has passed.

This thread inspired me to write Sierra Nevada about the grain bill on their bigfoot barleywine ale... they sent me back the grain bill, hop schedule, suggested mash temp, OG and FG and yeast recommendation... Much more than I asked for. Very cool thing for someone who's trying to take in everything they can.

Now if I could just get Lagunitas to share their Hairy eyeball recipe. :D

I drank a LOT of SN Pale Ale when I lived in northern CA. Don't drink it as much now that I'm in SD, but I've kind of rediscovered it lately. I've also found a local liquor store that carries Bigfoot and Narwhal. Very exciting!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Cool!

American Spirits tobacco is like that too. They've been sending me birthday presents for a few years.

Back