Sierra Nevada Tropical IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
My daughter had one of these and really likes it. She is starting to venture away from the Bud crap and drink some good beers.
I could not find a clone for this beer. Can some of the more seasoned professionals assist in putting something together for me? Or at least steer me in the direction as for as percentages of each? I'm not real sure on the hop schedule. I figured Amarillo at 60 and the rest at 20-0 plus dry hops.

5.25 gal batch
Here's the info from SN web site:
ABV: 6.7%
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.012
IBU: 55
Yeast: Ale
Bittering Hops: Amarillo
Finishing Hops: Mosaic, Citra, Comet, El Dorado
Malts: Pale 2 Row, Munich and Honey

I kinda played around with a recipe but I've never put together one myself and don't want to screw it up.
The web site only shows three malts. Should I also add Melanoidin or Carapils?

I've been really enjoying that beer...

The grain bill does seem fairly simple, and their website's ingredients seem appropriate...

I'd start with (~75% efficiency):

12 lbs 2 row
1.5 lb munich
0.25 lb honey malt

~1.5oz Amarillo @ 60

Some sort of Mosaic, Citra, Comet, El Dorado @ 10 or later; and probably similar dry hopping (Sorry I can't help much on the hop part, but I do like the grain bill)....

I like this beer, too.

+1 on AZ IPA's grain bill.

For hops, I might do something like: 1 oz of Amarillo at 60. Then maybe 1/4 oz each Mosaic/Citra/Comet/El Dorado at 10 and 5. 1 oz each at flameout for a whirlpool. Then dryhop w/ 1 oz each

Grain bill looks solid. I usually add 2 oz hops at 10, 5, and flameout followed by 4oz DH

I do like this beer, have no idea about the recipe but it reminded me of my first ever brew which was two row and some crystal, magnum bittering hops and a bunch of Citra to finish and dry hop. I'm trying to brew it again right now so I'll know in a couple weeks if it was all really "Just my imagination"!

Grain bill looks solid. I usually add 2 oz hops at 10, 5, and flameout followed by 4oz DH

According to my calculations, 1 oz at 10 and 5, plus the 1 oz Amarillo at 60 will get you right around 55 IBU. I just assumed ~15 AA% on the 4 hop mix at 10 and 5 mins.

I'm working on it at the moment.
When you say flameout, would I be whirl pooling that amount at right under boiling temps? or should I shoot for 180 degrees then add and hold for 30 min?

By flameout I mean that I throw the hops in when I turn off the heat. Turn on my chiller to a slow trickle and let it cool slowly for 20 minutes

No one thinks Azacca is one of the hops? I think it tastes similar to, but not exactly like, the Azacca IPA from Founders.

No one thinks Azacca is one of the hops? I think it tastes similar to, but not exactly like, the Azacca IPA from Founders.

By George, hes right! Ive gone through two six packs of each. I want to say this one has azzaca and maybe mouteka in it.

Citra and Mosaic would make it tastesimilar to Deschutes Fresh Squeezed, I dont really see the connection

wow, never in a million years couldve guessed comet. Ive only used it in dry hopping but its like a grapefruity dank bomb every time i used it

Well bought a six pack today. Gonna try it later. The local grocery store is beginning to carry more craft beers and this one is new as I've never seen it before.

I plugged it into Brewers Friend and here's what I came up with.
1.065 OG / 1.012 FG/ 7.02% ABV/ 56.86 IBU
84.1% 10.6 lb 2 Row
11.9% 1.5 lb Munich
4% .5 lb Honey Malt

1 oz Amarillo 60 min
Hops: Mosaic, Citra, El Dorado, Comet
.23 oz each at 10
.23 oz each at 5
1 oz each at flameout
1 oz each dry hop
Amarillo only used for the bittering.
Should I add carapils or anything else?
Never made anything with this much hops.

Nice! Thanks for setting us on the correct path.

Um, the OP did too. ;)

My daughter had one of these and really likes it. She is starting to venture away from the Bud crap and drink some good beers.
I could not find a clone for this beer. Can some of the more seasoned professionals assist in putting something together for me? Or at least steer me in the direction as for as percentages of each? I'm not real sure on the hop schedule. I figured Amarillo at 60 and the rest at 20-0 plus dry hops.

5.25 gal batch
Here's the info from SN web site:
ABV: 6.7%
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.012
IBU: 55
Yeast: Ale
Bittering Hops: Amarillo
Finishing Hops: Mosaic, Citra, Comet, El Dorado
Malts: Pale 2 Row, Munich and Honey

I kinda played around with a recipe but I've never put together one myself and don't want to screw it up.
The web site only shows three malts. Should I also add Melanoidin or Carapils?

I drank a few of these last night. It is a very good, easy drinking beer with a little bitterness.
With that said, I thought it was lacking in flavor. I was expecting more citrus flavor. With the current hop schedule I noted in this post, does anyone think the 11 oz of hops would be too much? Seems like that is a lot considering that it's not a citrus hop bomb.

I too, think the recipe we're crafting has too many hops.

Sierra Nevada really isn't known for hop bombs. I think the ~4oz for dry hopping is okay, but I'd reduce the late kettle additions quite a bit.

I agree that there really isn't a significant hop flavor for this beer. It's obviously there, but probably not in the quantities described so far.

I bought a 12-pack of it, and I'm enjoying it but not enough to buy again -- it's just not my style. But now I know what people are talking about when they mention "dank" or "funk" with regard to hops. :)

That's a tasty beer! I'm looking to see how this comes out. The hop selection seems very similar to the enjoy by clones.

Just picked up a sixer. I like the beer, certainly pick up the tropical fruityness. I tasted azzaca right away. I just did a smash w azzaca.

Back