Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAREEBROWNBEEST

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392263138.577140.jpg
This was the day it was created
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392263176.019466.jpg
This is 10 days later. The recipe came from "200 clone brews" book i got for Christmas. The only thing i did different from the book was i used a dark crystal malt instead of the american crystal malt that was called for. My LHBS was out.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392263438.885211.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1392263467.305546.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1392263508.925162.jpg
Here is the recipe. Cant wait to try it. Its chugging away

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

BTW, i made 7.5 gallons as pictured. I had extra ingredients so i made another small batch alongside my 5 gallons:)

That was the first recipe I made. I was hooked after. Mine turned out fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm waiting for my ingredients and brew bag to make this exact recipe as an all grain BIAB. I'm going to try and do 5 gals in an 8 gal pot. All that I've read suggests it can be done, even without sparging.
We'll see!
Wish me luck.

I cant wait, im going to let it ferment a bit longer than the two weeks suggested. This sunday will be two weeks. Ive been collecting bottles while i wait.

There's another forum where the recipe and experience of brewing a SNPA clone is very well documented:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=15532

It starts out with a full grain version, but shortly thereafter lists an extract version which is basically this:

1.0 lb. Crystal Malt 60°L
5.5 lbs. Extra Light DME
0.50 oz. Magnum Pellet 13.60 25.4 60 min.
0.50 oz. Perle Pellet 7.70 7.3 30 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.80 4.3 10 min.
2.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.45 0.0 0 min.
Yeast : White Labs WLP001 California Ale (Can also use S-05, US-56, 1056)

The guy who started this thread says he got the grain bill directly from Sierra Nevada. This thread was started years ago and some have suggested that their recipe has changed since then.

Anyway, I cooked this up last weekend. Still bubbling in the primary now. Can't wait to keg this in another few weeks or so!

Cheers :mug:

Sounds pretty close to the one in the book. I also used a white labs pacific ale yeast. A little different from the book but we will see how it turns out.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393181335.798481.jpg
I am happy with the color and the taste! This so far has to be one of my best. It is very hoppy, and i like that. It cleared up pretty nicely too. I used a muslin bag on the end of my auto siphon when i transferred. It got clogged a couple times with all the sediment but just watching that beer flow from one container to the next was so satisfying to see.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393181586.844868.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1393181597.048915.jpg
Leftovers:)

I used whatever my supplier had. I cant recall the name off hand but the packaging was black with bold white lettering. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393184309.762180.jpg
I just added 1/2 ounce of cascade hops to my secondary too.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393184369.705693.jpg
Also my FG was around 1.012. Target according to my books recipe is 1.015-16.

Hop union. Just recalled

Well I meant northern brewer hop. It's from Germany with an American variety too. Hop Union does sell it however. I think, but not totally sure, that Sierra Nevada uses norther brewer in almost all of their product.
Someone else might know better, but they are one of my all time favorite beers.

How'd it go?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

For me, went great!

Took longer than expeted due heating/cooling but, the process couldn't be easeier. My mash wash within in inch of the top of the pot. Temp held (after one heat addition and a blanket) for 90 mins. Started with just over 6.5 gals of 1.058 wort at start of boil and 5.25 gals 1.062 wort into the fermener.
Had made a quick starter with 1l of the cooled wort and the wyeast 1056. Still took a few hours to take off, but two days of aggressive bubbling from the fermenter so far.

Looking forward to tasting this one!

I'm brewing 10g of this all grain. 18lb 2row, 2lb Munich, 8oz crystal 60. Nugget, perle, cascade. Dry yeast. Hopped like mentioned .

Dividing into 2 5g. Dry hopping second with Nelson suavin, Amarillo, and cascade. Plus using kolsh yeast.

I brewed this up about almost 4 weeks ago. Left it in primary for about 2.5 weeks, the gravity sample tasted awesome. I then pureed 3lbs of strawberries and vodka together then dumped it in on top. Gravity sample and strawberry mixed didn't taste to bad. I'm gonna let it sit for another week or two then keg it up. I can't wait to see how it taste.

I finally got around to bottling mine today. Got about 52, 12 oz. bottles out of it.

My wife kinda got on me for drinking to much and she bet me i couldn't resist having a beer for two months so my beers should be nice and ready come those two months:)

Opened one today...don't tell the wife;)
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398210129.805078.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398210149.523257.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398210191.373473.jpg
Open up! Man its good. Its got that young beer taste (been 2 weeks bottled) but it is a tasty brew. Very, very close to a Sierra Nevada. Cant wait to let these mature. Im stoked:)

Back