Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbfjr

Reaction score
Hey... Im a newb, got about 5 extract kits under my belt. I've tried a couple of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone kits, but they dont capture the floral citrusy in your face hop aroma that greets your nose when you raise a glass to your mouth that you get with a real SN Pale Ale. Anybody have a recipe that comes close to that? Im really enjoying the hobby!

Hey... Im a newb, got about 5 extract kits under my belt. I've tried a couple of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone kits, but they dont capture the floral citrusy in your face hop aroma that greets your nose when you raise a glass to your mouth that you get with a real SN Pale Ale. Anybody have a recipe that comes close to that? Im really enjoying the hobby!

Honestly, I don't get this at all with SNPA. While I like SNPA, your description makes my mind go to the bigger cousin - IPA.

I think the hoppy impression depends on how many west coast IPA's you've had to ruin (an enjoyable ruin, but ruin nonetheless) the old olfactory senses. Sierra Nevada has a very nice hop punch for an APA. OP, I didn't look at your recipe, but the hop flavor and aroma is due almost exclusively to lots of late cascade additions, and some "flavor" time additions of Perle (which gives Sierra Nevada that wonderful "woody" bittnerness. I agree that it really is such a great beer, even if a little "boring" compared to newer offerings. But, for what it is, it is wonderful and a great session beer, so enjoy the cloning process!

I think it also depends on freshness. I remember getting a super fresh bottle when I was visiting family in San Diego. I almost did a double take because I had never tasted so much grapefruit in a snpa before.

I think it also depends on freshness. I remember getting a super fresh bottle when I was visiting family in San Diego. I almost did a double take because I had never tasted so much grapefruit in a snpa before.

Maybe this is my issue. My local market stores them out of refrigeration and who knows how old (I'm not that close to cali).

Check out Austin Homebrew. They have a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone that I really like.

I found this recipe a few years back and have made the all grain version. It comes out really close to the original but I messed with the hops some to get more of the cascade up front.

257.jpg

k_mcarthur said:
I found this recipe a few years back and have made the all grain version. It comes out really close to the original but I messed with the hops some to get more of the cascade up front.

Looks like a reasonable recipe, but I think you're right for upping the cascade. Personally,I'd also stay away from the step mash, but that's just me.

Looks like a reasonable recipe, but I think you're right for upping the cascade. Personally,I'd also stay away from the step mash, but that's just me.

I've done both with and without the protein rest and can't really tell a difference other than time spent. FYI I do .75 oz nugget, 1 oz perle, then 1.5oz of cascade; I like the way it turns out. This is my default go-to ale to keep on tap. I also ditched the malto dextrine for 1/4# more carapils.

Latest posts

Back