Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
...is a very different animal (no pun intended)!

I had my first one ever tonight, first barleywine ever as a matter of fact. Can't say I like it, can't say I don't. Its just odd. Its definitely a sipper, that's for sure.
It's like beer on steroids.

Anyone know the story about it? Do the versions that Sierra Nevada release every year taste the same? Same recipe?

Discuss....

1st Sierra Nevada Bigfoot? For real? Oh yeah, I forgot, not everyone lives in California. We've got a lot of that out here, so I don't waste time sipping. I like to enjoy it by the mouthfull. I like the stuff, but I prefer Old Foghorn from Anchor. The bummer on the Anchor barley wine is that unless you get it on tap, it comes in 7oz bottles. There was, until recently, a local taphouse where I could get the Foghorn for $5/liter. Now that's dangerous.
I'm pretty sure that the recipe remains pretty consistent from year to year on that Big Foot.

I think the recipe changes from year to year. I try to get a sixer of bigfoot every year. I also get the Old Foghorn, too. I agree it is a bummer they only come in 7 oz bottles and priced like 12 oz bottles. (No matter, I still lay down the cash for it year after year) This year I kept two bottles,(of the foghorn and bigfoot) I drank the foghorn about a month ago, I belive it improved a little. I think I will keep the other bottle untill the next batch is available and compare.

I live in Missouri, and my roommate always trades beer with some guy online. I've never seen a 7oz. Bigfoot. He gets a sixer every year. :confused:

bigfoot is always tasty stuff. i'd have to say its my fav. i had it once in a black and tan, they called it a kavorkian. that was a very good experiance!! i had like 3 32 oz mugs of it. i love it on tap, hard to find but worth the effort of looking for it! i usually buy it a case at a time when it comes out! i find a store that carries it and pre-order my case or 2 every year! being in germany, i haven't had it for almost 3 years and i can't wait to get back to the states and buy my next case!!!!

I disliked bigfoot and so has everyone else i passed the rest of the 6er on to.

ew.

For that matter the Sierra Nevada Celebration ale makes me want to yack too.

barley wines aren't for everybody. I had my first one a few months ago (Bigfoot, 2003 I think) and I thought it was fantastic. I don't think I could drink it on a regular basis, but as a once-in-a-while brew, I'm definately a fan.

-walker

Well.. I don't know. I think it's the hop bite. I'm more of a malty beer person than a hoppy beer person. Sierra Nevada beers all tend to have a hop bite that to ME tastes like sucking on a penny or a lead pipe.

I should have known better than to pick up their beer again.. so far I'm 0 for 3 for their product.

Wow, I'm a big fan of their Celebration, but I'm a bit of a hophead myself. I think one thing that might turn some people off is the Chinook bittering hops. Seems like a lot of people find them too harsh for their tastes.

I do agree on the metallic taste....I get quite a bit of that in SNPA. I don't know where that comes from.

Mindflux said:
Well.. I don't know. I think it's the hop bite. I'm more of a malty beer person than a hoppy beer person. Sierra Nevada beers all tend to have a hop bite that to ME tastes like sucking on a penny or a lead pipe.

I should have known better than to pick up their beer again.. so far I'm 0 for 3 for their product.

Interesting. I don't taste that at all. I don't ever drin SNPA anymore cause it is almost too boring for me. Love the hops too much!

Man! I just got some celebration myself. I wanted to save some of them for later, but ended up finishing off the sixer on thanksgiving. So far I have to say I like all of Sierra Nevada's products. We don't get the Old Foghorn here though. Maybe in one of the bigger cities in this state, but not in columbia, as far as I know.

Man, my buddy gave me that bigfoot barleywine when I was already toasted. I drank three bottles of it as well as my normal amount.

Don't remember much except the hangover from hell.

Dude said:
It is here in Newport News. I picked up a sixer today. Chilling one now for this evening. :D

sure, rub it in there dude!!!! i'd give up my left ......... for a sixer of barley wine right now!!!!!! it'll all be gone by the time i get back to cali in april. i'll have to wait until next year.:(

justbrewit said:
sure, rub it in there dude!!!! i'd give up my left ......... for a sixer of barley wine right now!!!!!! it'll all be gone by the time i get back to cali in april. i'll have to wait until next year.:(

I can pick you up a six-pack....I take paypal. :D

PM me if you want, we'll get it fixed...

justbrewit said:
Pm sent!!!! you are a saint and a life saver!!!!!

That is if we can get it over there to you! I'll go pick some up later today.

BTW--It is GOOD this year. I drank one the other night--it is certainly a sipper but it has great balance. I can't wait to do a side-by-side with last years.

Haven't had this year's, but I'll be at the store after work picking some up. FWIW, for those of you that like barleywines that have access to Smuttynose, I just tried their Wheat Wine (part of their big beer series), and it's amazing. Never imagined a wheaty barleywine, but it was swell. :cross:

I don't want to hijack the thread, but has anyone had Flying Dog's "Horn Dog" barleywine? I saw it at a local grocery store ($9 for 4-pack), but decided to grab Bigfoot instead.

-walker

Imperial Walker said:
I don't want to hijack the thread, but has anyone had Flying Dog's "Horn Dog" barleywine?

-walker

I tried it last fall at my LHBS beer tasting.

It was very similar to bigfoot in regards to the sweetness and extreme body, probably on the lighter side of bigfoot!

i just hope theres some left when i get home on the 8th of april. if i can find it, i'm gonna buy a case of it for sure!!!!

just tried the 2006 Bigfoot. This was my first barleywine style ale. It was potent stuff! I liked it, SWMBO did not.

I bought a 6 pack of Bigfoot about a month ago. Stong stuff. I think it is one of the highest alcohol content beers that can be bought. Hard to flavor something right with that much alcohol in it.

Back