Shunt (Amp Meter) questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sublime8365

Reaction score
So I'm building a new control panel and have a few questions about the shunt for the amp meter. I didn't have one in my last control panel so I'm pretty new to the functions of a shunt.

(first two pics below are my shunt and the last is from electricbrewery.com - my reference for my build)

1. As you can see, my shunt is very different than the one in the last picture. On the electric brewery one, there's two screws on each end for the wire terminals to go, but only one on each end of mine. Should all of the wire terminals just go on that one screw?

2. How to I properly insulate this shunt? As you can see, right now I only have two rubber washers underneath the middle part. What's the proper way to do this?

3. There's limited space in my control box and the shunt in particular is a bit close to the contactors. It's only about a quarter or half inch in between the shut and the bottom of that contactor terminal. Is this a recipe for disaster?

photo-nov-17-8-09-45-pm-66448.jpg

photo-nov-17-8-09-55-pm-66449.jpg

IMG_6695_letters.jpg

Do you have a part number or a datasheet?

You're definitely not going to be able to mount it the backplate like you have it. It will need some means of insulation.

I've never seen a shunt that didn't have the insulated mount integrated to it. Usually those 2 big screws you are using to mount it would be for connecting power and the little screws are for your monitoring wires.

Back