showing off my green thumb...........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattler_mt

Reaction score
one of my other hobbies is growing plants, be it veggies, fruit trees or my favorite, carnivorous plants

Nepenthes bongso from Sumatra
small pitcher
DSC00081.jpg

larger pitcher just opening
DSC00083.jpg

DSC00082.jpg

my lil Nepenthes hamata from Sulawesi
DSC00085.jpg

Cool looking plants man. Its nice to have more hobbies than just brewing, gives ya something to fill the time in between batches! :)

I take it that those tropical plants are in a Montana greenhouse? :)

If I had a greenhouse, I would be growing things all year. I'm in just the right geographical spot to make the growing season slightly short, yet brutally hot from July-August. :mad:

not quite a greenhouse.....................i built this in my basement:
IMG_0037.jpg

would love a greenhouse but would hate the cost to heat it and cool it.......our schizophrenic weather makes a greenhouse an expensive luxury item to run year round.....-40 before windchill in the winter.....can see 110 in July/ August........while the plants pictured are from southeast Asia they are from up in the mountains and dont like to see it above 70 for night time temps........if i could just figure out how to get my night time temps to drop to 50 or so without costing a fortune to do it i could grow some really impressive pitcher plants from higher up in the mountains

Klainmeister said:
You better hope that no cop needs to ever enter your basement....

A friend of mine had the cops serve a search warrant in his house, because the neighbors noticed a florsecent light on in the basement all the time. He was growing some unusual plants, but nothing illegal. Apparently, simply having a Florescent light is enough suspicious activity to cause a warrant to be served...

BTW- I think a pitcher plant was one of those he mentioned. Not likely an exotic, but he had several plants that would not grow in the area, in the winter.

aint growing anything illegal.....just stuff that needs more humidity than the 15% i got due to bitterly cold winter air and central air heating......most of them need atleast 50%, most prefer 80% plus....hard to get that here unless its raining :D ..........aint worried about cops showing up......dont have anything illegal in the house.........and ive been known to have a beer now and again with the city police chief :D

more pics from inside
IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

rattler_mt said:
not quite a greenhouse.....................i built this in my basement:
IMG_0037.jpg

would love a greenhouse but would hate the cost to heat it and cool it.......our schizophrenic weather makes a greenhouse an expensive luxury item to run year round.....-40 before windchill in the winter.....can see 110 in July/ August........while the plants pictured are from southeast Asia they are from up in the mountains and dont like to see it above 70 for night time temps........if i could just figure out how to get my night time temps to drop to 50 or so without costing a fortune to do it i could grow some really impressive pitcher plants from higher up in the mountains

That seriously reminds me of silence of the lambs with Buffalo Bills moth farm. "It puts the lotion on its skin...it does this whenever it is told or it gets the hose again". . .. .. . . . .you dont have a well in your basement do ya? :cross:

Back