Show your BIAB Stand/Set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lot of real nice setups in here. I love seeing the different varieties of brew systems.

That's a real nice set up
Very Purdy !!

What were your plans for the PID controller ?

Thx
Steve

My control box operates my pump, exhaust fan, heating element and PID. The PID in auto mode takes care if mash temps and manual mode controls the boil.

Siberian...

I can't tell from the photo. Is there some means to run the steam etc caught by the doomed bowl out a window or something? If not what is the function of the bowl / vent hood ?

Cheers

Siberian...

I can't tell from the photo. Is there some means to run the steam etc caught by the doomed bowl out a window or something? If not what is the function of the bowl / vent hood ?

Cheers

It allows me to get to a boil and hold a strong rolling boil with a lot less power. I have enough ventilation on boil off DMS / etc but not so much that I'm wasting energy letting all the steam immediately exit the kettle. 3500w won't keep a rolling boil of 12g of wort in this kettle completely uncovered. With the dome I can keep a strong boil going with just 2700w.

As far as venting, brewing in a garage so I just open the door to let the steam out. I may add a vent when it gets cold this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Nice setup...I want to do something similar as far as the hoist. looks very useable.

thanks, its been fun to use.... not to mention fuss free. however im in the middle of going electric with it and since im in a fab shop, I think im building components to make a replica of the BREW EASY. but ill still keep this guy around.

so I have the black stand at the beginning of this thread with the integrated hoist arm.. my question for the group... any of the guys using the traditional BIAB Bags and a pump experiencing issues getting fast enough drainage through the bad to not drain your pot.
my pump seems to pull way to fast regardless how I slow it down on the output and it just turns my BIAB bag into a water balloon and dry's the pot up.

so I have the black stand at the beginning of this thread with the integrated hoist arm.. my question for the group... any of the guys using the traditional BIAB Bags and a pump experiencing issues getting fast enough drainage through the bad to not drain your pot.
my pump seems to pull way to fast regardless how I slow it down on the output and it just turns my BIAB bag into a water balloon and dry's the pot up.

If you mean using the pump for recirculating, stop. Using the pump to recirlculate clogs up the fine mesh of the bag.

If you mean using the pump for recirculating, stop. Using the pump to recirlculate clogs up the fine mesh of the bag.

that's exactly what I mean... and yes I understand that it clogs the fine mesh, as this is exactly what I said in my post so thanks for playing...

however there are many here that show pumps in use, as there are many that claim to use them... so for THOSE THAT USE THEM... I was wondering the findings.

Several things obviously can cause this, with the information given one could only guess....

1. Crush too fine, bag too fine or both?
2. Pump running too fast

Some have this issue, some don't seem to. I would investigate item 1. With the strainer basket there should be plenty of area for the bag to filter wort, more so than when using a FB.

Good luck solving your issue.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Only times I've had an issue recirculating I when I used a large amount of rye or wheat, then it stopped up the bag. I run my recirculation the entire mash time. My crush is pretty normal, mill set to .030, If I go much finer than that it will stop up the bag as well.

no these comments are more like it thanks guys,,,

1. I do double crush (80% efficiency with it)
2. I used the recommended voil so don't think its the bag
3. even if I slow it down to a trickle its to fast I can literally hoist the bag up and only a pencil lead sized stream drains into the pot... it literally is a water balloon.

I would guess my crush is to fine but even when I single crushed it wasn't MUCH better only a little. perhaps my bag is not the correct voil as I was once told there is various kinds???

I hate to spend the cash but I was reading good tings about using the stainless mesh basket in place of the bag and not having these issues... but man almost $200 bucks for a strainer is crazy.

I recirc with a pump and Wilser bag. At a water to grain ratio of 7 gallon/12 lb (or 2.33 qts per lb) of 2-row and some crystal, I had zero trouble recircing through my wilser bag at the halfway open position on the valve installed on the downstream side of the pump. I would have gone faster but my mash-return diffuser splashes too much at higher velocity. Recircing is certainly possible and I think it is worthwhile if you couple it with an electric element to ensure a consistent temp in the mash.

My grains are double crushed at love2brew.com... so they are not going to be crushed as fine as some people do when using BIAB.

I looked at the mesh strainers and noted the price. I can't justify the price for my set up.

that's exactly what I mean... and yes I understand that it clogs the fine mesh, as this is exactly what I said in my post so thanks for playing...

however there are many here that show pumps in use, as there are many that claim to use them... so for THOSE THAT USE THEM... I was wondering the findings.

I circulate using one of Wilserbrewer's bags and a Topsflo pump. My pickup tube is 1/2" elbow facing down with about 1/4" clearance to the bottom of the pot. I've only once had clogging problems and that was with a really large grain bill. I've been using my local homebrew shop for the crush; I think the crush is more of a traditional crush rather than ultra-fine crush many in the BIAB world are using.

I've had a problem circulating while using Golden Promise grains. I always ask for a double crush and all other grains so far have not been a problem.I'm considering going back to a regular crush while recirculating and see how it works out.

I had the problem you describe I think, my bag would stretch out to the edges of the pot and basically form a vacuum, you could hear it release as you pulled on it.

Having the fryer basket to hold the bag solved the issue. It prevents the bag from reaching the sides of the kettle and I have little stainless feet in the basket made from nuts and bolts to keep it off the bottom.

That and a valve after my pump and I have no problems recirculating.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here is my finished result. I'm still planning to do something in the order of a hood and a vent. Also, going to make a water filtration system this week.

20141025_173138_zps7973d17e.jpg

Made a hop spider out of a old S/S utensil can.
20141025_170737_zpsc4fdfd33.jpg

Black Z,

Your rig looks great - how's the controller working out for you? I'd be interested in seeing your filtration setup when it's done - are you going R/O?

I made a similar hop spider out of a spare SS garbage disposal flange - it seems to work well, and it's always satisfying to find a good use for some of the crap I never seem to throw away.

Peter

Black Z,

Your rig looks great - how's the controller working out for you? I'd be interested in seeing your filtration setup when it's done - are you going R/O?

I made a similar hop spider out of a spare SS garbage disposal flange - it seems to work well, and it's always satisfying to find a good use for some of the crap I never seem to throw away.

Peter
I'm really liking the controller setup. It's been working great. I have brewed 4 beers with it so far. I think I would like to upgrade to some sort of temp control, but it may be a bit because this seems to be working so well for me. I will at least add a pump pretty soon. I think it would help keep the mash temp more consistent.

I'm planning to go with a R/O setup in the future. But for now, just a cheap whole house water filter setup. My water tastes pretty good, but why not for the minimal cost. I did buy the best filter for the setup though.

20141103_171410_zpsa1398f1c.jpg

20141103_171419_zps63438a12.jpg

Here are two pics of my setup. One is my "good weather" spot and the other is what I use when the weather is crappy like today

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

Do any of you BIAB stove top with a 5 gallon batch? If so can I see what you use to let the bag drain or any ideas that works for you?

I do 5 gallon batches in my apartment on an electric stove. It's not perfect, but it works. For a while I was using a grill grate on top of my kettle to drain the bag. The grate eventually started to rust a bit so I switched to my broken hockey stick method. I think the bag drains a lot easier this way.

81B379E6-564A-437F-82AE-C5E9D7E6B4F5_zpswqzogo6m.jpg

979EA92A-089B-4862-AD07-C074911A6AA9_zpsdhi3qbql.jpg

4F755B68-C451-434D-A6F3-AD0508C5CBDC_zpsjwm2wlr4.jpg

Here's my set up. Thanks to everyone one here at HBT, reading answers to posts allowed me to build this. Gave the box to a friend who silk screens and has chickens that benefit from brew day. I laid out where the controls were going and gave him Cart Blanche with the design. Naked Cat Brewery is born, the lower part is a mirror image profile of our Sphynx cat Bela.
That's a Wilserbrewer bag draining grains and everything except the pot were purchased through HBT links.
For now I just straight BIAB, I have a whirlpool arm that I use while chilling.

Snow Sour.JPG

P1020361_Fotor.jpg

Nice Inkleg! Looks simple and functional.

Is that a PID and timer in your panel, or some other combo of boxes?

Brew on :mug:

That's a Wilserbrewer bag draining grains and everything except the pot were purchased through HBT links.

Cats like Bella freak my wife out, but she is very interested what kind of deal HBT offers on a puppy. Can you send me that link for her?!

:ban:

@doug, yes it's a PID and timer.

@72, haha ya got me. That's my Grain Hound Killian (named after the road we found him on, not the beer). He shows up at the end of the mash, knowing he's gonna get a handful of grains.
Tell you wife to give hairless a chance, meeting one in person usually wins people over. :D

I do 5 gallon batches in my apartment on an electric stove. It's not perfect, but it works. For a while I was using a grill grate on top of my kettle to drain the bag. The grate eventually started to rust a bit so I switched to my broken hockey stick method. I think the bag drains a lot easier this way.

Im interested in your set up, I got a burner and kettle for christmas/birthday but live in an apt where the neighbors may think otherwise of me going outside...:confused:

I brew in the kitchen. 5.5 gallon batches.

Megapot, Dudadiesel plate chiller, AIH chugger pump (SS), Natural gas stove

More details of my basic setup in my post below for any who are interested.

Some brilliant setups in this thread. Really makes me wan to go eBIAB

Secured Bag.jpg

End of Mash.jpg

Pump and chiller 2.jpg

Recirc Setup.jpg

Lauter and Draining Bag.jpg

Im interested in your set up, I got a burner and kettle for christmas/birthday but live in an apt where the neighbors may think otherwise of me going outside...:confused:

Got any specific questions? Forgot to mention I got a canning heating element off of eBay. I think it was like $20. Something to look into if your using an electric stove.

Any specific questions? Forgot to mention I got a canning element for my stove. I think it was $20 on eBay. Something to look into if your using an electric stove.

Any specific questions? Forgot to mention I got a canning element for my stove. I think it was $20 on eBay. Something to look into if your using an electric stove.

Ah heating element, no more questions, I just manned up and made the trip to my ladies house to brew, set up photo above! :D

Almost done, still need to buy a pump and chiller. And some sort of paint. Brewed on it once next to my 3V setup so I could use my pump and counter flow chiller.

I brew in the kitchen. 5.5 gallon batches.

Megapot, Dudadiesel plate chiller, AIH chugger pump (SS), Natural gas stove

More details of my basic setup in my post below for any who are interested.

Some brilliant setups in this thread. Really makes me wan to go eBIAB

Gavin, how do you set up the probe during the mash for your thermometer? Also, did you "waterproof" it like most people do with vinyl tubing?

Gavin, how do you set up the probe during the mash for your thermometer? Also, did you "waterproof" it like most people do with vinyl tubing?

The probe goes between the lid and the pot during the mash without problems. I have not done anything to the probe to waterproof it. I know this is an issue with some thermometers (my model included based on reviews) but I have had no problems thus far.

Thanks, good to hear. So you basically just secure the probe by "clamping" the wire between the lid and kettle? I think I'm be investing in one of those. I like my pen style, but something to just rest on top makes a lot of sense to me to keep from opening the lid and potentially losing heat.

Back