show your age with a picture of a toy from your childhood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1613773487352.png

Yes definitely a learning curve, kind of a sidearm snap/flip of the wrist as you throw it. Mine did end up on a neighbor's roof!

John

My brothers and I went through too many of these to count:
1613778190638.png

And even more of these:
1613778270099.png

The printing on the horizontal stabilizer reads "North Pacific" on one side and "Bend Oregon" on the other. I always wondered how to adjust it to go to either location, and how could it know the direction to go? No kidding.
Good times.

You can start a fire with them by running a rock across them. Not that we ever did that. Took too much work might as well steal a pack of matches everybody smoked.

what did you do? fill them with gas, and have a sparker ready to set them off? (damn, that WOULD have been f'n COOOL!) :mug:

Whoa. Way Back Machine stuff. I built one of those "Visible V8s", probably was a Revell model. Don't remember the crank, it ran on the starter motor.
Pretty cool actually, even the "spark plugs" would light in proper sequence...

Cheers!

I remember these two one x-mass. Palyed with them till 2 or 3 AM laying on my grandparents shag carpet.

OMG! The old Girder & Panel Building Set from Kenner Toys! I had some of those when I was a kid. I remember spending the better part of a week building a replica of the Mackinaw Bridge with them, just to see if I could.

When I was a kid the first HO scale slot cars ran on AC vibrator motors - literally a chattering relay coil with a blade that would engage one tooth on the drive gear for the rear axle and push it a microscopic distance before retracting and then hitting the next tooth on the next cycle, and so on. Pretty noisy for such a small toy, but they did work.

When my sons were old enough to spot a car back on the track the cars and controllers were far advanced. I built them an epic layout in the basement, with almost 100 feet of track, and a digital lap counter I built using optical sensors under track and a lighted arch above them. Worked great, and the whole neighborhood was into it - for about a year, before they moved on to other things.

My wife found the steamer chest full of the track, controllers, power supply and cars last fall. My oldest son's boys are 9 and 11, and might get into it, but they are hard-core Lego Masters right now so no time for building race courses :)

Cheers!

damn, i forgot about the slot car arcades. don't know if it was HO scale. but they had buildings with huge wooden tracks for big slot cars. cool parts and stuff, thanks for the memories! :mug:

Back