show your age with a picture of a toy from your childhood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about the Junior Scientist kits?
Ma, haw, haw... (evil scientist laugh).
This is what I pictured when I read that laugh voice...
30CA40C1-F48F-45D1-92DD-FD91197EDB05.jpeg

How about the Junior Scientist kits? With all the chemicals, etc. Would never be sold today. Wish I had kept mine. Ma, haw, haw... (evil scientist laugh).
I remember my Dad telling me that when he was a kid back in the 50s, one of his cousins came close to burning the house down one afternoon goofing around with a chemistry set. No one could quite remember what exactly got poured into the flask and stirred together, just that it went WHOOSH! and about caught the curtain on fire.

I remember my Dad telling me that when he was a kid back in the 50s, one of his cousins came close to burning the house down one afternoon goofing around with a chemistry set. No one could quite remember what exactly got poured into the flask and stirred together, just that it went WHOOSH! and about caught the curtain on fire.

Hard to believe in today's world, but in high school chemistry class we made a bomb. Yep. BOOM! We blew it up in the courtyard, where they allowed the seniors to smoke. It blowed up real good. If I remember correctly it was ammonia and salt? or vinegar and baking soda? Liquid, et al, was in an enclosed metal container. Thinking about it soda and pop rocks would have probably blowed up real good too.

Hard to believe in today's world, but in high school chemistry class we made a bomb. Yep. BOOM! We blew it up in the courtyard, where they allowed the seniors to smoke. It blowed up real good. If I remember correctly it was ammonia and salt? or vinegar and baking soda? Liquid, et al, was in an enclosed metal container. Thinking about it soda and pop rocks would have probably blowed up real good too.

Back in the mid 90s, when the internet was just really starting to take off (Ah, those were the days, when the net was the Wild West!) there were tons of pages across the net on how to build a potato cannon. I got it in my head that it'd be cool to make one. So, I did, and it was all fun and games for awhile, until I seriously overcharged the damned thing with butane one night and sent a flaming potato into a patch of dry grass. 😬

When they answered we asked "Is this Eat Sh*t?"

you're a bad person.....

but no, it was the days when the phone box in front of my house just had plain simple nuts and washers for the neighborhoods phones, and rigged up a telaphone cord with alligator clips to ease drop.....

damn, i remember me and my friend must have made a sound or somtething, the person we were listening to went ape crap....

Innocent fun. At least we were not shooting people or each other or treated as snow flakes.

i think i said this allready...but not that innocent....when i got the idea to call some of the cool BBSs that i get the world pirate directory, and got the idea to swap my line with the neighbors to dial them up......i'll remember prehistoric dos game for life, something like 2MB's of pure fun at 2400 baud......straight from the land down under from san diego....i don't know why i never got caught!

Right before I graduated high school, I decided to prank the school newspaper by going into the file on the journalism classroom computer where all the layouts for the advertisements were stored and have a little fun. The advertisement for the local diner's 'All You Can Eat Cod Platter' became 'All You Can Eat Cold Pet Rat'. The local pharmacy was giving away samples of their Ex-lax Brownies (limit one per customer) After I was done, I saved the files and closed everything out. I do sometimes wonder what the reaction was that following fall when they opened up those files to print out the advertisements for the new edition of the school paper.

i think i said this allready...but not that innocent....when i got the idea to call some of the cool BBSs that i get the world pirate directory, and got the idea to swap my line with the neighbors to dial them up......i'll remember prehistoric dos game for life, something like 2MB's of pure fun at 2400 baud......straight from the land down under from san diego....i don't know why i never got caught!

Sounds similar to the Captain Crunch whistle that would allow a free long distant call (remember when we had to actually pay $$$ for a long distant call? Want to let relatives know we made it home OK? Use the operator to call them and ask for Harry Balls. Nope, no Harry Balls here, but they knew we made it home OK. Thanks AT&T!)

Right before I graduated high school, I decided to prank the school newspaper by going into the file on the journalism classroom computer where all the layouts for the advertisements were stored and have a little fun. The advertisement for the local diner's 'All You Can Eat Cod Platter' became 'All You Can Eat Cold Pet Rat'. The local pharmacy was giving away samples of their Ex-lax Brownies (limit one per customer) After I was done, I saved the files and closed everything out. I do sometimes wonder what the reaction was that following fall when they opened up those files to print out the advertisements for the new edition of the school paper.

Funny. However, IMO, all you can eat beaver or poon tang may have been better. ;-)

me, on my StingRay

1969, Heather Downs Elementary (Toledo, OH) 4th of July Bicycle Parade.

my Dad was on his way home from Vietnam, he would get back in time to watch the first men walk on the moon

& that's a Mud Hens pennant

View attachment 701579

We grew up a mile from each other haha. I lived right across the street from the Mud Hens (and the rec center). Haha. Those were the days. I'll be we crossed paths at Southwyck Mall, my home away from home.

I played in Maumee Little League for my whole childhood.

me, on my StingRay

1969, Heather Downs Elementary (Toledo, OH) 4th of July Bicycle Parade.

my Dad was on his way home from Vietnam, he would get back in time to watch the first men walk on the moon

& that's a Mud Hens pennant

View attachment 701579
Reminds me of all the open lots/fields around in my youth. Of course, they are now all filled with 7-11, nail salons, etc.

We grew up a mile from each other haha. I lived right across the street from the Mud Hens (and the rec center). Haha. Those were the days. I'll be we crossed paths at Southwyck Mall, my home away from home.

I played in Maumee Little League for my whole childhood.
Both my parent's entire families are from Toledo, but my brother & I are the weird ones, born in Cleveland & only lived in Toledo the one year Dad was in Vietnam.

The joys of being an Army Brat

Both my parent's entire families are from Toledo, but my brother & I are the weird ones, born in Cleveland & only lived in Toledo the one year Dad was in Vietnam.

The joys of being an Army Brat

I was an army brat too - born on a base in texas. Dad got out (officer) just in the nick of time - discharged around '67 I think.

Reminds me of all the open lots/fields around in my youth. Of course, they are now all filled with 7-11, nail salons, etc.

My company just hired a bunch of new college grads and one was talking about being from [roughly] where I grew up. Turns out she's actually from the specific suburb I grew up. And when she told me what neighborhood she grew up in, I got to pull the "yeah, when I was a kid that was still farmland." 😂

My company just hired a bunch of new college grads and one was talking about being from [roughly] where I grew up. Turns out she's actually from the specific suburb I grew up. And when she told me what neighborhood she grew up in, I got to pull the "yeah, when I was a kid that was still farmland." 😂

haha. been there done that!

our HS had 2 teletype terminals & 1 CRT terminal to batch submit our programs (FORTRAN & COBOL!) to the mainframe at the county government building. since there were only 3 terminals, we had to code on CARD PUNCH machines & run the cards thru the reader before we could open the program on the terminal to compile/debug

my senior year, we got 3 Atari 800s

Back