Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is literally my second ever mead. My first one was last week. Actually ... this is kind of my 1 and half mead, considering it's my 2nd ever mead with the headspace topped up using my first ever mead. The recipes are a bit different but I don't care about mixng them.

I made it with bread yeast from the supermarket following more-or-less the directions for a first mead on the "CS Mead and More" YouTube channel.

It tastes great in my opinion already, but I'll let it sit and age until Christmas. It's 12.3% alcohol content.

Cyser bottled 27 Aug 2020 12.21% ABV.jpeg
Cyser bottled 27 Aug 2020 12.21% ABV

Absolutely.
100 grams of very coarsely ground Peet's House blend, dark roast coffee, cold brewed in a BIAB grain bag, 3 quarts of Poland Springs spring water for 24 hrs on the counter, covered. Filtered through a coffee filter to catch any sediment. (It didn't look like an overly strong batch of coffee, but, the flavor is intense without being too strong.)
3 1/2 lbs London Buzz Apiary Wildflower honey,
1/2 packet of 71B yeast, rehydrated for 1 hr beforehand in Poland Springs spring water,
Poland Springs spring water to 1 gallon.

This was before I joined this group & knew ANYTHING about SNA's, pH levels, or yeast happiness. Since making this, I have pretty much switched to BOMM protocols for all my meads.
Thank you for asking, @CKuhns

This finished sweet, 1.030....more of a dessert mead than the semi-sweet I was hoping for. Someday, I hope to be able to calculate my sugars correctly before I make the must, so I can make it consistent. Next time it will be 3 lbs vs. 3 1/2 lbs.

Last edited:
135138995_1180805022337950_8449917053236996251_o.jpg

From Left to right I have an apple cyser that will soon be a strawberry apple cyser, a coffeemel, a cherry melomel and a traditional. I know the traditional has a bit much head space, but it has degassed and is protected by a blanket of CO2, so it's safe. The oldest one is the traditional at about one month. I am a happy beginner at brewing and loving every minute. :)

All of these brewed on New Year's Day, 2021. Might as well start the new year with a bang...& a buzz :bigmug: :ghostly:🥳

Left to right
1 gallon Sweet meadowfoam BOMM,
1 gallon Juniper berry & Spruce tip BOMM,
1 gallon Orange Blossom & Tupelo traditional BOMM,
3 gallons Christmas Spice BOMM
1 quart of traditional using a local wildflower (10 ounces) & Tupelo ( 2 ounces)

Sweet Meadowfoam BOMM.jpegJuniper & spruce tip BOMM on left, OB & Tupelo traditional BOMM on right.jpeg3 gallons Christmas spice BOMM.jpegtraditional.jpeg

All made using @loveofrose's recipes for a guideline.
The meadowfoam & Christmas spice BOMMs are by the recipe.
The OB/Tupelo BOMM is missing the tannins, but, I'm sure it will be fine. I have oak cubes & spheres for after fermentation.
The only thing altered in the juniper berry mead was the addition of 10 inches of spruce tips. (5- 2 inch pieces)

Last edited:
Left to right, Blueberry melomel, tropical fruit melomel, Solera style Group brew Bochets, and a Cyser in the back corner.

Attachments

• IMG_20210218_225438147.jpg
    IMG_20210218_225438147.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
Racked...(& tasted) my one gallon of JAOM today. What a delicious mead! FG 1.030, started 12/20/20. I think next time I will add just a touch less honey to hopefully get me 1.020, but, it's beautiful where it is. Love the color, all the spices & orange on the nose, as well as the honey. Good balance. This was the first JAOM that I have done, & certainly won't be my last. I originally racked it into a one gallon carboy, but wasn't comfortable with the amount of headspace, so I put it into the 1/2 gallon & quart sized Ball jars. The leftover almost filled a Grolsch bottle, which went into the fridge for immediate consumption.
Happy meading :cool:
Resized_20210221_130224_5805.jpeg
Resized_20210221_144224_6747.jpeg

Attachments

• Resized_20210221_130224_5805.jpeg
    Resized_20210221_130224_5805.jpeg
    335.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Resized_20210221_144224_6747.jpeg
    Resized_20210221_144224_6747.jpeg
    895.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Racked...(& tasted) my one gallon of JAOM today. What a delicious mead! FG 1.030, started 12/20/20.
Straight out of the fermentor the JAOM is all clove and orange. In 2 months it'll be better and at 8 months they're wonderful. I have a 1-1/2 gallon going now that should rack to a full gallon.

Had 2 gallons of JAOM in a 3 gallon carboy I needed for a new Blood Orange melomel and had enough after bottling for a gravity reading. After a year it's exactly what you expect from JAOM but the spices have really mellowed out. Samples in October, as I've come to expect, clove and cinnamon were very forward and now, citrus blends it all together as it has worked into the mix. Alcohol has finally taken a backseat to flavor and a glass will certainly warm you up.

I enjoy making JAOM every year and am planning to start one for the year soon alongside the Blood Orange that began today but need to clear up a carboy again.

Oh, sorry, I've been sampling my brew a bit and focus is lacking but the year old JAOM is 1.020 but I wanted to mention to Dan O that while using Fleischmans I've had final gravity's from 1.012-1.034 so dialing in that 1.020 may be tricky. I try to maintain a consistent O.G. every batch just for some semblance of repetition but that's the best part of JAOM, always a bit of surprise.

Attachments

• IMG_20210221_180830274.jpg
    IMG_20210221_180830274.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
Oh, sorry, I've been sampling my brew a bit and focus is lacking but the year old JAOM is 1.020 but I wanted to mention to Dan O that while using Fleischmans I've had final gravity's from 1.012-1.034 so dialing in that 1.020 may be tricky. I try to maintain a consistent O.G. every batch just for some semblance of repetition but that's the best part of JAOM, always a bit of surprise.
Noted, & thank you. My first 2 meads were with Fleischmans. One came out @ 19.43%, the other @ 12.73%. It's more of a goal, really.

How many gallons is that carboy, please?
Would you be willing to share the recipe, please? 😁 Thank you in advance, if you do.

That's a 3 gallon filled up to the 2 gallon mark and will be topping off later when fruit comes out. I'll get my notebook later to make sure it's accurate and will certainly share. Was planning on doing a JAOM with the same Blood Oranges but kids wanted a snack and I didn't get any extra for them. Planning to grab more this evening and starting it up. Want to show family and friends the difference between JAOM and more standard practices and how they are both tasty but you can speed it up or focus on certain characteristics.

IMG_20210227_083757201.jpg

Bochets, almost a year old, Solera style Group brew still going haha getting ready for next generation. Dark enough I couldn't see anything through it, had to put an LED behind it in the dark to see through it and it almost glows from the light refraction.

IMG_20210227_083000334.jpg

Blueberry melomel clearing well, could use fining at the point but going to let it keep going a week or two. A bit of pectin haze is all that's left in suspension and you can actually see through it clearly, just a bad picture, plan to clear a bit more and then backsweeten.

Made 3 gallons of a blood orange JAOM hybrid. It's a weird one though. I didn't use the peels, just the zest. I peeled & separated the segments & peeled every single one of them, (what a task that was) froze them & after they thawed, crushed the juices out by hand & dumped the whole thing in. It's gonna be hell when I rack it, but, it's done now 😄.
All of the spices according to the JAOM recipe went in and it was bubbling when I got up 5 hrs later.😁

I didn't have clover honey, except for 1 pound, sooooo, I had to improvise & make a honey cocktail. Used 5 different honeys altogether. ---2 different wildflowers, Canadian prairie, clover, & orange blossom to bring me up to OG. It smells delicious!
Total honeys were 9 lbs 11.4 oz.
OG was 1.135
Pretty stoked about this one.

Attachments

• 20210315_012706.jpg
    20210315_012706.jpg
    872.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
African Bronze Honey purchased from HBT seller. This is a BOMM that sat in primary for 3 months, stabilized and back sweetened to 1020 (too sweet for me). But this is the first mead to actually taste like honey. Bad pick, but it is really clear. :mug:
1615853048200.png

Back