Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mesquite Honey oaked with American Med Toast. Very simple but maybe my favorite. I love the non-color too.

Mesquite Oaked.jpg

2 gallon batch of strawberry mead, picture was taken at the day of bottling on august 11th 2016. Created my own recipe for this. The ingredients are as follows: 2,4 kg strawberries, 1,4 liters organic acacia honey, 0,9 kg mixed flower honey, 3/4 tsp acid blend, 1 tsp pectolase, 1,5 tsp nutrients, Vintners Harvest SN9 wine yeast, back sweetened with white table sugar to reach SG of 1.002. Came out 13,3 % alcohol and tastes really good at bottling stage, the bottles will be stored and aged for at least six months.

20160808_122804.jpg

How long did it take for the mead in your picture to get to that clarity? The color is amazing.

Almost traditional was started on 10-05-15. It was pretty clear @ 6 months or so if I remember correctly.

The Erlking was started 12-20-15. This one usually clears up fairly quickly, depending on the clarity of the apple cider or apple juice used.

Eldercherry Frankenmead was made from two different batches that were started on 01-5-15 and 03-07-15. They were crystal clear when I began tinkering with them around March of this year. Despite many additions, they never clouded up.

Adding bentonite during primary is something I've started doing and it usually results in crystal clear clarity and tightly compacting lees.

From left to right: 3lbs Sourwood honey, 1lb wildflower honey mead. 3lbs, 11oz Orange Blossom honey mead, 3lbs Gallberry honey and Apple Cider cyser. For the record to the above poster, the middle Orange Blossom mead was made using Distilled water.

mead.jpg

2QcBpTJ.jpg

Top shelf: 2 gallons of lactomel group brew (i'm probably going to dump this batch...), 1 gallon bochet w/ coffee, cinnamon, cocoa nibs and vanilla bean, 1 gallon blueberry hibiscus w/ oak+vanilla (pulled off from a 6 gallon batch to experiment with).

Bottom shelf: 3 gallons fresh pressed cider, 3 gallons tart cherry cyser, 2 gallons blueberry/blackberry/ginger, 2 gallons apricot/peach, 6 gallons blueberry melomel w/ wyeast lambic blend

Not pictured: 3 gallons bochet cyser, 1 gallon tart cherry sour experiment

My first attempt at making mead , about to rack into secondary, started this batch 25/09/16.The mead in the pail will be a strawberry and vanilla melomel.
I have just started a second batch which will be a pineapple melomel, blueberry, kiwi fruit and a apple cyser. In Western Australia we don't have a huge variety of honey or many home brew shops. Drunken plumber downunder:mug:

image.jpg

Unusual choice in nutrient. May I ask why and are you looking to impart a fruity taste? Give us the details on the batch please. Is this a traditional? Inquiring minds want to know.

Banana is an excellent addition for improved mouthfeel and extra nutrients. I let mine get overripe to the point of blackness, then freeze.

When I'm ready to use, I thaw, chop up, and add to my primary at the rate of 1 per gallon.
It adds zero taste, but does quite a lot for mead/wine.

Thank you very much!... to all the great TEACHERS out there who made this possible You are a credit to this craft! :mug:. I cant believe we made this stuff!

pitched in February, just bottled;
Cherry Vanilla Mel, Blueberry Melomel and my favorite, the Traditional; on the end. also sneaking into the photo, 'Caramel Macchiato' wine, not cleared with sparkloid for the rustic look

"Very Good" at bottling and can only get better (fantastic in a year?), if they last!

jusbottled.jpg

The red is the Cherry Vanilla Mel (slightly Oaked)

glass1.jpg

this is my first mead, ee have a 1 gallen apple cyser, i used 1 gallon apple juice, 3 lbs wild blossen honey, 1 honey crisp apple, and 1 packet champagne yeast, 1 tsp yeast neutrients. the dark spot there is from my camera, dropped and broke it.

Congratulations! Looks like you're off to a good start. Post a picture when it's done.

Anyone else notice how you never get the buzz from store bought that you do from homemade. I think they lie about there abv. Anheuser Busch got called out for that not too long ago, but it quietly went away. Interesting lol.

Back