Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a few pics of the keezer that I just finished. Never mind the cheesy LED lights. I didn't know that the fans had the lights on them until I connected them. The nice part is that the lid is hinged and so is the bottom of the collar, so that i can lift all of the hoses at the same time and easily insert or remove kegs.

20190103_145656.jpg
20190103_145643.jpg
20181230_221858.jpg
20190103_145727.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet - maybe put the blue LED lights on the outside somewhere. Where did you find the mounting clamps for the CO2 tank?
Nice job!

Sweet - maybe put the blue LED lights on the outside somewhere. Where did you find the mounting clamps for the CO2 tank?
Nice job!
Thanks. It was pretty basic. At Home Depot, I bought a 24" structural strap and a fire extinguisher wall hanging kit. I then screwed the fire extinguisher hanger to the holes in the structural strap and the bent the end of the strap into a J, so that it hung off of the lip of the freezer.
20190110_170739.jpeg
20190110_170707.jpeg

I wouldn't worry to much about that blue light unless its going to get though the SS cornie somehow.

Good job on the build.
Thanks. I was thinking more along the lines of the beer in the liquid lines might be affected. I have been doing to some reading to find out color versus exposure times.

You could wrap the lines with aluminum foil. Just crunch it around them, doesn't nerd to be neat.
That is true. I went the other route. I used needle nose pliers and smashed the LEDs. Worked great on one fan, but I ruined the other fan, so it is 50% a success! Now, I just have to run to the store and grab another fan (without fancy lights).

I wouldn't even waste my time with covering the light it's not UV, plus no matter what kind of lines you run, the beer in there will be oxidized.

Simply put, if you believe skunking is due solely to strictly defined "UV" light you're wrong.
And accepting one defect issue because of another seems strange ;)

Cheers!

Simply put, if you believe skunking is due solely to strictly defined "UV" light you're wrong.
And accepting one defect issue because of another seems strange ;)

Cheers!
I'm confused? you're going to pinpoint the "skunked" taste on the light, when it's caused by oxidation?

Ummm....

Ok, this isn't the place to conduct basic brewing class to correct misconceptions such as the above, so I'm out...

Cheers!
Misconseptions on your part or actual science to back this up? Cause if you have actual research, I'm all ears and would be glad to read it to change my mind on what I've read concerning this topic. Other than your comment to go on, here's an in depth article about line o2 ingress and I can get more if you would like to read them. http://www.********************/brewing-methods/beer-serving-oxygen-ingress/

Just cause I can't let this sit. Skunkiness is UV photoreaction with hop compounds. Very specific cause. Nothing to do with oxidation.

http://www.professorbeer.com/articles/skunked_beer.html

I'm not debating that light doesn't cause this reaction, I've read Kunze a few times, it's one of the last brewing textbooks you'll ever need. I'm stating that the beer in his lines is oxidized, whether the light is in there or not it will still taste oxidized.

@Paulaner I think the debate here is that you stated earlier skunking was an oxidative effect, and others have stated it is due to (UV an other) light (which is correct). The (off)flavor known as "skunking" is a light influenced flavor.

Off flavors caused by oxidation and light as you know are two different things... that is the rub in your posts; you are lumping them together, but they are triggered by two very different processes. But, you have attributed an off flavor triggered by light to oxygen. That is just incorrect-- as you would recall from Kunze whom you reference. That is the issue.

:mug:

@Paulaner I think the debate here is that you stated earlier skunking was an oxidative effect, and others have stated it is due to (UV an other) light (which is correct). The (off)flavor known as "skunking" is a light influenced flavor.

Off flavors caused by oxidation and light as you know are two different things... that is the rub in your posts; you are lumping them together, but they are triggered by two very different processes. But, you have attributed an off flavor triggered by light to oxygen. That is just incorrect-- as you would recall from Kunze whom you reference. That is the issue.

:mug:
Skunked was in quotations because it's a made up term that doesn't exist in textbooks for off flavors. I never confused the 2, I stated the off flavor as oxidation.

Edit: Since I’m being misunderstood, I guess I’m not being clear with my thought process. By thinking the light struck flavor (skunked) if that’s what you want to call it, is going to fix this problem is like chasing your tail. You eliminate the light, the beer sitting in the lines will still oxidize, so you’re still gonna pour the first few ounces out so the beer in your glass is at its peak, in my opinion well worth the waste.

Last edited:
Here are a few pics of the keezer that I just finished. Never mind the cheesy LED lights. I didn't know that the fans had the lights on them until I connected them. The nice part is that the lid is hinged and so is the bottom of the collar, so that i can lift all of the hoses at the same time and easily insert or remove kegs.

Awesome Build. What model freezer is it?

This thing has been "in progress" for two years... Anyone else relate?View attachment 615687View attachment 615688
Yep...that's how I've been using mine for about 3 years.

I had big plans......lol.

I think I will add space for a 3rd leg by moving the gas outside the fridge.

I'm actually worried that if I go away from the picnic taps and go full blown keezer, I won't be able the keep the "regulars" out of the garage. Lol.

Yep...that's how I've been using mine for about 3 years.

I had big plans......lol.

I think I will add space for a 3rd leg by moving the gas outside the fridge.

I'm actually worried that if I go away from the picnic taps and go full blown keezer, I won't be able the keep the "regulars" out of the garage. Lol.

I think we will all be interested to know how "moving the gas" helps you create a "3rd leg". :yes:

My simple build. Got it running in time for Superbowl, a little late with the post.
I was hoping to fit 3 1/6 kegs but I sized it wrong only got 2. I should be able to fit 1 1/6 and 1 1/4 or 3 corny's but that'll have to wait, but i'm thrilled with it. I love having a keezer in my bar.
Also was sized for a soda fountain cooling plate, for future upgrades

Attachments

• 20190201_212118.jpg
    20190201_212118.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 220
  • 20190201_212110.jpg
    20190201_212110.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 208
Back